Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone bought SWR since they were 'acquired' by Fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Jun 7, 2004.

1. I'm kinda worried about the future of SWR since Fender bought them about 2 years ago...has anyone bought one of the new SWR amps? How are they compared to the 'old' ones? SWR is all I use and just wondering if they kept everything the same.

2. I bought an SWR '12 Pack' 2x12 cabinet from SWR two years ago. Almost to the day I blew blow both drivers before the warranty ran out so I took it to L & M for repairs. 2 months later I got it back with what I don't believe are the same type drivers cuz it doesn't sound at all the same. Not impressed at all. Luckily I got my new Bergie 610 before then or I would be seriously pissed.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Had a Mo' Bass for a week. Can't remember its date of manufacture, I know they're discontinued but the manual mentioned Fender IIRC. It was a great sounding practice amp for a small room with no other instruments playing. Absolutely useless otherwise, far too quiet to be heard. Tried a new 750X in a music store, it too seemed quiet but nice sounding. Have a Henry 8X8, it on the other hand is a great cab, a bit low wattage rating though, easy to push it too hard with 400 watt tube amp. Are their cabinets easy to push so that they match up with their amps that don't push very hard? Or am I just too used to old high wattage Boogie cabs? Or maybe it's a fluke that these 2 SWR's were weak, defective or something?

4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I recently purchased a Big Ben cabinet and couldn't be happier. I also own an older (Pre-Fender) Goliath Senior, and in comparison with the new ones, there are few changes. I did notice slightly lesser fit and finish on my Mexican-made Big Ben, though its performance has been stunning.

5. I have an Sm 900 that is almost 2 years old (made after fender bought them. Nothing has gone wrong with it, it sounds better than older sm 900s. Nothing has gone wrong with my Goliath III either (about 3 months old). My friend was endorsed by them for a whlie and he never had a problem.