Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone build a bass longer than 35"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJK84, Jul 19, 2004.

1. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I recently saw a band with a woman of short stature doing a commendable job playing a bass that appeared to be a 34".

It got me thinking.

Does any manufacturer make a bass longer than 35"? Many men would probably have the arm length to play a 37" or 38".

And it seems like the instrument's tone would be enhanced by the longer "speaking length" of the strings.

(Then again, simply finding strings might be a problem!)

Anyone help me out here?

2. i think carvin offers a 35 1/4 or 35 3/4 length.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Quite a few builders offer extended scale lengths. I've personally played a 36" Fodera, and know that Elrick offers a 36" scale length as an option. Also, check out the Dingwall basses, they have fanned frets, the B string on their 5 is 37", while the G string is 34".

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    If you want the extreme, Carl Thompson has made a few 38" scale basses.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My bass, Dingwall Afterburner has variable scale lengths per string (Novax Fanned Fret System), my B is 37" long and sounds like the voice of god, but my G is only 34" so it doesnt feel tight.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Mike Browne regularly builds 36" basses. Just about any custom custom or "small production" builder could make just about any scale length you wanted....35 1/2, 36", 38", etc.

8. David King has 36" scale as an option on his price list, though from what I understand, the one I used to have was one of the few he'd actually built with that scale length.

Mike

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What's the longest scale bass guitar ever created? Or rather, at what scale do they begin to become unplayable?

I know double basses are about 41", right?

10. One of the early 6's that Carl Thompson built for Anthony Jackson was 41" or 42", and I'm sure there have been others.

Mike

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Depends on who's doing the playing.

12. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    On another forum, someone posted a link to a picture of a 51" scale bass. However, it was probably set up with special strings or some sort of tuning that alleviated the stress. It was mounted on it's own stand, and you would presumably play it on the neck.

13. Kubicki = Combination of 36" and 32"

14. holy crap! that pic of newsted is insane!

15. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Daaaarrrnnnnnn. Listened to the audio sample on their site - think they hit the brown note on that Quake bass. :eek:

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Retardation thats what it is! :p

Does anyone have more info on those knuckle basses? they seem pretty cool/ sound pretty neat too! kind of expensive though.. Has anyone ever played em? feel free to pm.

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll be at his booth at NAMM.. I'll give you the downlow (seriously) on them.. :smug:

18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    that pun... it was so...clever, but seriously THANKS A-LOW! (hahahha haha.. okay yours was cleverer... more clever) :hyper:

19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Moses Graphite makes a 42" scale bass guitar. It's kinda like a hybrid between guitar and double bass. I don't think there is any corrolation between player size and the ability to play long scale instruments of any stripe. There are plenty of petite ladies that play the heck out of a string bass.