Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone build an HTPC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 6, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was talking to one of the guys I work with who is really big into building a Home Theater PC. I was thinking about building a PC in the near-ish future, and when I found out about these thought that they were pretty cool.

They're basically PC's with snappy cases (though they don't have to be) that look like a piece of stereo equipment that you keep next to your TV, etc. You can get remote control setups and use them to control pretty much everything. With super-big HD's available, a lot of guys use them to hold their entire uncompressed :eek: CD collection on hard disk, record TV with Tivo-like programs, and of course run DVDs, etc. Seems kinda neat.

Anyone here into them or ever build one?

Here's a pretty snappy case I saw in a beginner's guide I found:
    [​IMG]

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I noticed cases for these when I was shopping at Tiger Direct. As a matter of fact, my mobo (an Intel with the 945G chipset) is really designed for home theatre use what with 7.1 on the board. I picked it for other reasons. Not a bad mobo for the money ($110) if you don't want to overclock.

Pretty cool concept, and it makes sense with the current generation of media (DVD and MP3).

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My brother built one. It can do all the things a Tivo can (with no monthly fee) plus he can play games on his TV, hold and play all his mp3's, etc... There's an open source program out there somewhere that you can use as the media center software. He used that for a while but ended up switching over to a retail program that he likes better.

He just used a regular PC case.

brad cook

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My receiver died in 99 so I picked up a nice set of Yamaha 2.1 speakers and started ripping my 800+ cd collection to my hard drive (EAC/LAME ripped 320max VBR MP3s). Ended up doing some cassette transfer too.

I've moved drives through different hardware and jumped to larger drives as I needed. I'm hitting that point again and I'm looking to get 3 new 200gb drives for my box to replace the current 120, 80 & 40 I'm running now. I don't watch tv so that ain't a thought... but I do have an svideo out that I run to my TV for gaming and such.