Anyone build their own bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corrosiontrav, Sep 27, 2005.

1. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I'm thinking of building one from parts from warmoth. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this. If you have build your own bass tell me stories, tips and what-not. Also what kind of budget do you think I can get away with.
  2. using the search function for "warmoth" will open up a whole plethora of answers for you.
  3. my best advice is ifyour gonna buildone from warmoth build one from all the woods you really like, and everything... dont waste your time building something that isnt exactly what you want.
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    If I remember right, from when I wanted to do this, the minimum price- if you buy every single part from Warmoth, is gonna end up around seven to eight hundred. Somewhere in that neighbourhood.
  5. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I didn't do a Warmoth, but I did build a bass using a Signature Jazz body off ebay along with a Mighty Mite fretless neck. The body was complete with pickups, controls, pickguard, etc. All I had to do was mount the neck, install tuners and string retainer, and set it all up. I'm real pleased with the result.

Total cost was less than $400. Let me know if you have any questions.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Here's a response I made in an earlier thread, hope it's of interest.

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Like you, I chose to put together a 62 RI body, Early 80s Jazz neck, with a J-Retro unit. Sounds like a million bucks and total cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of $600.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  9. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Just over two years ago I specd out a complete bass from Warmoth. 51 Fender P slab body in butterscotch blonde with a tele style maple neck and split P pickup (surprisingly similar to the Fender Mike Dirnt bass now available). When it was all said and done the cost was going to be over $1200. I got lucky though, someone had one for sale in the classifieds for just under half of what I was going to spent not to mention that it was already assembled and set up. Granted I didn't get to choose the exact color I wanted, but I think I like what I got (dark maroon) more. Plus it came with a case.