Anyone build their own bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greenman, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I've had this aluminum tube for about ten years and never found a good purpose for it other than a straight edge etc. Then one day I was staring at my bridge thinking I have to order one for my new project. If I was to rip and chop up this tube I could get about 40 base plates. You can buy the saddles for 20 bucks or so.
    Has anyone ever built their own bridge?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Wouldn't you want something heavier than aluminum for a bridge?
  3. Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I'm just curious. I see Hipshot B are available aluminum.
  4. my brother in Western PA has a couple of CNC machines...he could make me a bridge if I needed one (don't at the moment). I'd have the bridge channelled out of a solid chunk of aluminium or brass, however, I don't think that tube would stand up very well, due to it's thin edge...
  5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm just about to buy myself a mini-mill that should let me make my own bridges (among other things). Beyond that I've worked with machinists quite a bit and occasionally had them make me parts like bridges. Aluminium works just fine, but I've got a thing for brass (personal preference, nothing more).

6. i've made a few using wood, aluminum and graphite saddles (pre-made of course)

Attached Files:

7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    How hard is it to make a wooden bridge?
    If I did it string through body it'd just need the edge wouldn't it? I was thinking of making one out of ebony or similar for my next project.