Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone build their own effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by patrickj, Apr 15, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    what kind of effects have you built? and have any tips/links for building your own?

eq, dist, compress, etc

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I haven't made my own, per se. However, I did do a major mod. I took my old DOD fx-25, gutted it, and re-installed the circuit into a Radio Shack project box. I did this because the DOD wasn't tall enough to match my Boss pedals, it used a different a/c input(male, why?), and the switch wasn't particularly sturdy. I addressed all these concerns and am quite happier with the overall performance.

3. I've build a guitar-overdrive..

but i'm working on a complete line of high-quality pedals :

<li>Blow Fish - guitar overdrive</li>
    <li>Buttbooster - Bass fuzz</li>
    <li>Hop goblin - touch wah / octaver / fuzz combo ( bassballs on steroids ? )</li>

Some for which i've got schematics ready, but no names yet :

<li>compressor</li>
    <li>phase shifter</li>
    <li>chorus</li>
    <li>LFO ( you probably know it as an envelope filter</li>

And there are some things / pedals for which i've got plans, but no schematics yet :

<li>J-retro alike thingy, but WAY cheaper</li>
    <li>DI pedal</li>
    <li>amplifier ( maybe later on.. i know of a simple, and cheap way to make a 600w mosfet amp )</li>

So stay tuned.. i'm currently gathering info on how to start my own company and all.. big plans :)

4. I know it as a low frequency ocsillator, but if you were able to build an actual oscillator that are used in many synthesizers that I could plug into from a 1/4" audio source and didn't cost major $$$ I'd buy it.

5. Interesting..

Please send your ideas / wishlist to tim@allodox.nl

i'm planning to make my pedals from the player's point of view, so any input from players is 100 % welcome.

6. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    AllodoX,

I have a few thoughts for you if you are going to make pedals:

I am left handed and the input on the pedals means I have my lead from my bass crossing my feet when I am onstage which can lead to tangled up feet! I know that it sounds a bit stupid, but we leftys do suffer in a predominantly right handed world.

It would be cool to find a fuzz/distortion/Od pedal that has mid-range control!!

Another good idea would be to design a case for your pedals to sit in. I use Boss pedals and I have a 6 pedal case and a 3 pedal case and they are the brilliant.

Another possiblility is to design the casing of the pedals to enable them to be clip together like Lego blocks. Nothing worse than pedals scattered about onstage with too much cable between them.

Battery compartments. Most are hell to deal with.

Hope that helps a bit. If it does, I'll buy one of your Hop Goblins!

Thanks

Festus

7. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Like the sound of the bass fuzz! let me know when you have one built!

Pedal case? Means using all the same sized pedals surely? I have many different types.

Clip together pedals? Nice idea in theorey but the reality is scary! Pedals right next to each other? Stomp for fuzz and activate the Flanger??? :(

Festus, why don't you make a board with velcro on and buy short "L" ended patch cables? Instant solution surely!

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've got:
    Maestro Brassmaster Clone
    Big Muff clone w/many mods
    TS9 clone w/many mods
    Hog's foot bass booster
    Fulltone '69 clone w/mods

& several other homebrew pedals...
    working on modding a crybaby right now.
    next project - univox superfuzz

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have a friend who builds his own stuff. He was making me a sweet custom fuzz but some it's broken now (we couldn't find a box for the circuit and so it probably took some abuse). It was a Big Muff circuit with a tone mod that Analog Mike does for Big Muffs. It had clean circuit too and they could be blended. I have never found a stock fuzz that worked or sounded as well as this with bass but now it's gone :(

10. if all goes right, i'll have the prototype done this weekend.. not really with a nifty PCB, but a working version none-the-less :)

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm working on a fuzz right now...

12. Monty.. keep in mind that a fuzz totally craps out your lows, so be sure to add at least a blend-controll.. :)

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    hmm... thanks.

what is that wired like? Linear pot w/clean on 1, fuzz on 3, out on 2?

14. Yeah, something like that.

but the fuzz'ed output is way higher than the clean output.. so it's better to amplify the clean signal a bit too..

15. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    I don't build them myself. But a Buddy I work with, Kent Stevenson" has built me and himself a few. Under the name "Angry Beaver Pedals" (his kids fav cartoon) I've got 2 so far:
    The "Invitro-Beaver" which is an envelope follower
    The "pierced beaver" which is a ring modulator which includes a mod pedal for adjusting the frequency

He's currently working on the" Saturday Night Feaver Beaver" which will be a bass fuzz/overdrive

[​IMG]

-Prof X

16. This is an interesting thread. I never gave a lot of thought to building my own pedals.

Is there some site I could go to, to learn how to start making some.

Maybe somewhere with schematics(sp?) that I could look at to find out how to wire.

There are some good things and some things wrong with the bass pedals out now. It would be great if I could make my own pedals to remedy these problems.

If anyones got some info, please tell me.

17. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  18. I started working on the buttbooster today..
    [​IMG]

20 minutes of soldering later, this shows up.. it looks like an empty plate with a few parts on it, and yes. you are right ! a fuzz doesn't require lots of parts.. as you can see on the picture.. i still need to put in serveral parts for the lows and clean signal booster. but like i said.. still under construction. and keep in mind that this is a beta version.. ( a.k.a. " quick 'n dirty " test version )
    [​IMG]

All Allobass pedals will have these kick-*** high-output blue leds. why ? well.. they're VERY visible, and all the other pedals have dull green and red ones. think smart, be different [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Are there any sites that show how to build an envelope filter?

20. This is my idea for a envelope controled ocsillator, looks fun enough, it would be good for making synth sounds, especially with that effects loop...

[​IMG]