Anyone buy a bass to get a famous players tone only to be disappointed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john_g, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have bought several basses over the years to try to cop some of my heroes tones. Bought my first Ric to try to get the Geddy/Squire tones only to be disappointed that it didnt sound like theirs (still good just not what I hoped for). Same with my Spector. Sounds and feels good but doesnt get the Queensryche thing. The only bass I have bought that did cop a famous persons tone I admired is my Aria Pro SB1000 to get the John Taylor tone. It sounds just like his with no processing.

Now I know what you may say...I should have my own and not worry about getting someone elses tone but I think most of us have done it at one time or another.

How many of you have bought a bass to sound like your hero only to be disappointed?

tattooSAM and TJH3113 like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Most of my heroes play a P bass, and they all sound different. ;)

project_c, seang15, P. Aaron and 18 others like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I play a RIC 4004 through a tube amp, so I am not disappointed with my Lemmy timbre at all.

4. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    You need so much more than just a sig model bass to nail their tone.

Sometimes having the bass, the effects, and the amp and cab still doesn't get you there.

Find yours and lay it down thick.

I tried to get a lot of different guys tones from a jazz, but no matter what I did, I still sounded like me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    ajkula66, seang15, trothwell and 7 others like this.
  5. A lot of a player's tone is the way they play it, not all but a lot. That being said most basses are limited in the tones you can get on them.

PotsdamBass8, jamro217 and levis76 like this.
  6. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I bought a Rickenbacker to get the famous Rickenbacker tone and was not disappointed. My heroes (Squire / Rutherford / Glover) inspired me, but I don't want to sound, or play like them. I want to sound and play like me! (...and I do ;))

7. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Exactly, the best way to get someone's tone is to study how they play rather than what gear they use, to a certain extent.

I get it though, OP isn't looking for answers as to how to get someone's tone, just stories from folks on their own exp.

BTW, I now own a beautiful Spector 5 string, and I can't make it sound anything like what I hear other artists do. It has Delano p'ups and pre, maybe that's it, yeah. Spend more money and that tone will be mine too! :laugh:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. addicted

addicted

May 23, 2012
    I always wanna get that nice slap and pop tone which I thought my bass couldn't give me.

Turn out I just had to change new strings...

9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I have had the opposite experience. They sound the way I expect them to.

IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0146.JPG IMG_0165.JPG

10. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I've stated before, that the day you allow yourself the freedom to be yourself, is the day you become liberated as a bassist.

I still smile to myself when I hear some random Sheehan lick pop up in my playing, but it's fairly rare now. I've become my own player, with my own sound, and I much prefer it that way. Besides, I was never gonna have his chops anyhow...

Billyzoom, seang15, CB3000 and 7 others like this.
  11. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Welp. Let's just wrap this thread right on up then. My sentiments exactly.

+6dB Dan likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nope, not me. I realized early on that my tone comes from me, and different basses may sound different, but they don't override your own hands. Fortunately, I was able to try out a bunch of different basses before I bought my first good one, and I was able to learn that lesson before it cost me money. OK, so the Alembic short scale I tried did kinda sorta sound like the sound Stanley Clarke gets, but my hands made sure that it stayed kinda sorta and not exact :D

Billyzoom, seang15, SirMjac28 and 6 others like this.
  13. Everyone's got their own unique tone,

Tone is a lot like one's handwriting...

gebass6, seang15, Artobass and 13 others like this.
  14. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    I bought a Rick 4004 thinking I was gonna sound like Geddy and Squire and I all I sounded like was a dope who spent $1,500 on a bass guitar.

Billyzoom, blkpwdr, Illini10 and 11 others like this.
  15. someguyfromNC

someguyfromNC

Jul 4, 2015
    NC
    I bought a stingray classic to get that thunder thumbs big bottom clear slap sound. Not disappointed :)

A ray sounds like a ray sounds like a ray though so I might have just got lucky.

seang15 likes this.
  16. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I bought an Stanley Clarke Signature alembic bass because I loved the diversity of tones Stanley was getting from his basses. These were sounds i'd never heard from any other player or bass, so I got mine not specifically to sound like him although I do try to do that when I play his tracks at gigs, but more for access to a wider tonal pallate. In that respect I am completely happy.

gebass6 likes this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    seang15, diegom and MovingPitchers like this.
  18. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Sort of... I purchased the Billy Sheehan drive pedal because, on spec, it looked like a versatile unit with well thought out features. I liked it, but it made me sound like Billy!

Herrick likes this.
  19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I went from my Lakland 55-94 to my new P bass and asked the guitarist what he thought of the new sound.

He looked a bit puzzled and said, "It sounds good but you always sound like you."

seang15 and waynobass like this.
  20. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Once upon a time I bought a Violin bass to be like Sir Paul. Imagine my amazement when it didn't really work for modern rock.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021