Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone buy from Ed Romans?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Jan 2, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I was checking out there website and had some nice looking stuff. Alot of custom BC Rich's and such. Can you haggle on prices, because the ones I saw were pretty high. He seems to have a big selection. Thanks Joe

2. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Funny you brought this up, I was just checking out their Lowrider bass on their Web site just yesterday and I was going to post the question:

Does anyone own an Ed Roman made bass?
    If so, how is the quality?

I know from doing a search that quite a few members don't think much of him but there is nothing I could find on his basses that he makes so I would like to know how good of a bass he makes, in particular the Lowrider bass.

Anyone?

3. He sells things? I always thought he was trying to establish himself as the Dennis Miller of the guitar-snob world.

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Buyer Beware!!!

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

No

Rob

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He used to have his store in CT where I'm from. My old guitar player traded in a Parker Fly and some cash and got a nice Gledura. He described Ed as a "nerdy biker-type guy," if I remember correctly. An abbrasive fellow. I don't recall if he haggled on the price though.

7. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    My New Year's wish - a year's moratorium on Ed Roman posts.

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    but do any of you have first-hand experience with his basses or are you going off of what you have read from others?

Personally, I am looking for comments from people that have owned or played one of his basses and what they thought the quality of it was, I don't want to re-hash comments about his attitude. I had read all the comments about him and generally I agree with most of them about his attitude but, I wanted to know about his product he puts out.

9. This probably won't help, but I noticed that on many of the web pages where he talks about basses, there's a link to a page where he disses Lakland and then offers his own "Lowrider" basses for sale. Generally, I've found that companies who make good products don't have much need to badmouth other companies' products. I could be wrong, though.

EDIT: I said "all of the web pages where...", but realised that it's really not all, but many of them.

10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Actually, I think Bill O'Reilly would be a more apt description of Mr. Roman.

Caveat Emptor, my friend, Caveat Emptor.

11. If i am correct My Roman lives in VEgas somewheres and owns a huge store on the other side of town. Its supposed to be filled with crazy vintage junk and mass amounts of $$$ equipment. But i heard he can be a real prick. Anyone got anything nice tosay about lol? heh

-Vince

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    O.K. guys, lets not be children here, read my earier post. Like I said, I already know the comments about his attitude, let's make this a fact finding mission about his basses that he makes.

Also kingbrutis had a question in the first post.

13. If anyone lives near Las Vegas go try em out first hand im sure hed have some at his store. I would but im not sure where it is in this huge town.

-Vince

14. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Actually, I will be heading to Vegas for a convention in mid Feb., if I can get some time while the shop is open I will be going there to try some out.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    As far as i know, it is best to make an appointment to go to Ed Romans.- he is on industrial rd jut west of the I15 for those here that wish to visit..
    the store is huge, tons of guitars and quite a few basses in the bass room.
    I bought an NS Design EUB from him because i had a very important audition and needed one THAT DAY. I got a very good price. He was fine, i don't think he knew i was a bass dealer.. and i dont know if it would have made a difference- So to answer one question, I guess you can haggle.
    I did not play his basses so i cannot comment.
    I have heard it all about Ed,. but he just sold me a bass, that's all, at a good price. I paid , we shook hands, end of story - he was not rude at all. That was my experience. There could be others that differ.

16. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I just talked to him. He seemed like a business man. I'm sure he gets guy's calling him asking all kinds of stupid questions. Anyway, he was nice enough but his price was VERY high. I got a price from a different dealer that was $400 less. I know these guys are in it to make money, but if they dont move product, no business. Sorry, I didn't ask about thier custom made in house basses. I was asking about the BC Riches. Later Joe

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    cool, i was responding to pistoleroace's question about his basses.. i am not too familiar with the current bc rich lineup or prices.... good luck!- A.

18. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Thanks Adrian, I would also like to meet you in person if possible or go see you play while I am there. I will be in Vegas for the Shot Show which runs Feb. 12-15th but I'm not sure yet the actual days I will be there.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    absolutely. i will be playing the Martin Nievera show at the Golden Nugget Showroom (wed thru sun), and fridays and saturdays, from 11 pm to 2 am, i play at the Gold Coast Showroom with a Latin band called Latin Breeze- email me and i will give you my cell #

20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've had personal dealings with Ed Roman when he was in CT. He promised me one thing and gave me another thing and when I wanted my money back or the thing that he promised, he threatened to throw me out of his place. I imagine he's cool to deal with as long as you don't disagree with anything about the deal. YMMV.