1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone buy from GC used gear online? You must see the pics..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larrison, Oct 8, 2009.

1. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    This was my first and most likey last purchase from Guitar Center's online used gear section. This is how this Warwick Corvette Std. showed up at my door.

A way oversized box for a Coffin case, it was standing on the neck when I got it, (probably because the shipping label was at the wrong end) 2 holes in the box, tone knob disappeared, all that was in the box with the bass was air bags. The bass was just flopping around.

Needless to say the next day I took it straight to a local GC and returned it. Nice bass but I couldn't keep it after that. I called the store I ordered it from and got the usual bad customer treatment one gets AFTER a sale.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Did the bass have the knob on in the ad? Was it playable? Did you get it at a good price? All of those are things I would take in consideration before returning an item.

3. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Totally unacceptable...

My 2 year old packs shipments better than that.

4. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    That is so beyond messed up. Atleast they could've wrapped it. That sucks. If I liked the bass regardless, I would show them the pics and ask for a store credit or a free, nice hard case.

5. larrison

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    The knob was there in pics they sent me. I put some fresh strings on, adjusted the bridge and nut and really enjoyed playing it. Paid $611 shipped. Sounded great. I just couldn't get the bad taste out of my mouth after speaking to that store gm. I have another Warwick on the radar.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    So there wasn't necessarily anything wrong with the bass... you just took it back based on the fact that you didn't like the shipping...

ok. Must have 'really' wanted that bass then.

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That's unacceptable from a private seller, much less a retail store that's sole reason to exist is to make a profit. I wouldn't have cared what kind of condition it arrived in either, that's totally unprofessional.

If I wanted to buy a bass that looked like it had been packed by Somalian pirates, I would have went shopping in Somalia. :D

8. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    I would've returned it too. It's not worth the risk, especially since there's no telling what sort of unseen damage that bass has...

9. I would have hoped the GM would have been apologetic and concerned. Were they?

10. There's not a chance I would have kept that, based on those pictures.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    See, that's where I differ. Regarless of how it arrived, if it's undamaged, and plays fine, and electronics perform fine, then it's in all likelyhood 'fine'.

Any time you buy a used instrument you have no clue what it's previous life or recent treatment has been. All you can go by is the current state of the instrument. Which he said he liked.

If it was undamaged, played fine, and sounded fine... and I wanted the bass enough to order it, I probably would have kept it. Although, I likely would have taken it to a local store and complained loudly about the shoddy packaging, etc and gotten some money back because of the lack on concern. But I would have kept the bass.

12. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Daddy's Junky Music shipped me something like that...I sent it right back, on their dime, great service, seems like it happens, laziness or lack of caring. That is just a poor packing job.

13. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Seriously folks, why do any of you still bother with GC?

14. scHism

scHism

Aug 12, 2009
    Philippines

+1!

15. larrison

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    Yes I 'really' did want it. I'm tired of being treated all nice when someone is trying to sell you something. It could be a car, swimming pool, etc, etc, and than after the sale they can't help you and appear to not have time for you. Have your bass back!

16. paf77

paf77

Dec 3, 2008
    Yeah there definitely could have been some unseen damage. That can't be good having that stand on it's neck haha I would have for sure returned it too.

17. My issue with that is by keeping it, you are reinforcing to the GC goons that it's okay to treat customers in such a way, and potentially destroy THEIR gear. The OP (and that bass) deserve better treatment. I think he did the right thing by making it clear: "this is not acceptable".

18. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I got a good deal on a used bass from GC in Atlanta, they threw in a case for it and shipped it properly. I did have to deal with the manager though, the clerk who initially took my information over the phone failed to make up a proper sales ticket and process the order. The manager stepped in and straightened everything out, thankfully.

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    But it is a professional business. They are supposed to go above and beyond what the average bear does regardless of what yahoos they're employing these days. For the profit margin they are trying to achieve, they could have at least spent an extra 5 minutes making sure all the voids were filled and used a box that didn't look like it's been used more than the bass!

I'll admit that if I wanted it enough to buy it and all the electronics worked, the neck was in good shape, and everything functioned as it's supposed to, that I probably would have kept the bass. But I still would have called and sent pictures to GC so hopefully some jerk in their shipping dept. would have heard about it, and maybe fixed the problem for future customers. And still if I was met with the type of customer service that the OP says he faced, I would have returned it based on that in addition to the shipping miscues. They didn't EARN the money so therefore they don't deserve the money.

/novel :D

20. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    But what he did doesn't effect the store he got it from at all. He took it back to his local GC and they had to deal with his issues. The store it came from learns nothing from this and will continue doing as they currently are.

The entire issue will have no effect what-so-ever on how Guitar Center employees at specific locations handle things.

And... the buyer now doesn't have a bass that he wanted, and liked after it arrived, and I continue to say in all likelyhood will have no problems in the future because it has no problems now.

His need to 'make a point' cost him a bass that he liked the sound of and liked how it played.

:: shrug ::