Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone buy one of these?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    True, but I'm fairly inept when it comes to building things and none of the builders on the cite live close. That 110 db Tuba 36 intrigues me though :bassist:

4. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Shipping via Greyhound was pretty reasonable from Rhode Island to Western New York State. Certainly much cheaper than gas to go get them. I'm kinda handy but wood ain't my thing.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hmmm... I wonder how much it would be to Greyhound one up from LA. I live in Sacramento...

6. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I think I paid about $50 to ship the two boxes.

7. Some of them look like direct rip-offs of Bill F.'s designs, and others look like the not-quite-real-horns that a lot of people sell for subwoofers. I've read many of Bill's articles in AudioXpress, and the 35 hz he quotes on that one cabinet is seriously optimistic IME.

Go get one of the real DR/Tubas. Besides Tubas are probably a lot lighter than 115 lbs!

8. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Yep. I'd gues my T24 goes about 70lbs. The Neo driver adds about $50 and sheds about 5lbs to what I've got.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    None of those boxes are anything like a Tuba; they are variants of a mid 1950s design that's been variously used by Cerwin-Vega, Peavey, Fender, B-52, Adire and about a hundred others over the last half century.