Anyone buy their wood from eBay?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, May 22, 2005.

1. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I've been searching the 'Bay for the past couple of days to see if I can get a good deal on any neck woods. I've found a few guys that deal only in wood and have some nice pieces. So, I was wondering if any of you have ever bought large boards (not just veneers) from anyone on eBay. If so, from whom, and was it good quality?
  2. I buy my veneer from a guy that goes by 'thinwoodsandoldtools' or something like that. And I get a lot of cool figured maple tops from a guy who's store is called 'medicine bow', I think his nick is 'burl.quilt' or something similar ...he has a lot of good deals, but he's on vacation and took all his stock offline, he'll be back mid june. Also, I've been trying to get nicely priced figured pieces for transition blocks and center runners (on the body) from this guy that goes by buxwoods, he has some nice figured pieces, but they keep going up!
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I've been watching buxwoods too. They do have some nice stuff from time to time but it does look like they tweak the contrast a bit.

Not sure why you would try to save money on neck woods unless there is no place within driving distance of you that sells suitable stock. Neck woods (at least for me) seem to be among the least expensive woods, yet they are the woods I really want to inspect for shakes, cracks, voids, warpage, etc. I'm talking woods like maple, jatoba, purpleheart, etc., that sell in the $4-8/bf range. It'd be hard to save money on those species unless you just can't get them in person. Figured woods can be a different story (if no one else bids on them!).
  4. Right! don't skimp on the neck! it's probably the most important part of the instrument structurally speaking, so you want to get the best ...if I can't find anything by personal inspection I'll order from gallery hardwoods, who always sells the right stuff. But for tops, transition blocks and other accents, you can get away with ebay stuff without looking at it.

One horror story I have was when I bought this spalted maple top that looked great in the picture. When it arrived it was very rotten and I tried to stabilize it by soaking it in epoxy, but that didn't help too much because the tear outs were so deep and the wood was so punky. I could only salvage enough of it to make a control cavity cover that ended up costing me $29! (will post pics of this completed bass in the next few weeks). But since then I have managed to ask the right questions before buying. I also got a great flamed/spalted top from this guy:

real nice indeed.

here's the wood I was trying to get from buxwoods for my transition block, I would never pay that much!
  5. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    What, you wouldn't pay $184/bf for a piece of wood?
  6. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Haha! I saw a beautiful piece of Gaboon ebony a while back and thought I might buy it. Bid a hefty $80.00 and figured it would be OK to spend that for such a nice piece. It was about 24" X 4" x 7/8" or so with some surface checking on one side which was kinda scary. That sucker sold for something like $195.00!!!

I did buy some real nice curly redwood though, and some super hard resonant and beautiful movingui from Ebay though. Got a huge hard maple board and good sized bloodwood board pretty cheap locally at Austin Hardwoods in Dallas. The shipping alone would have eaten me alive on those.

If you can get to a hardwood place that will let you look around a bit, it will be well worth the trip
  7. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    I got a sweet burl walnut top from "notable-woods". It's still stickered, after two years, and will be matched with a 1-piece maple body I've been saving for it...eventually.
  8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have had both good and bad experience with wood from e-bay. Spalt is a real gamble. I am having a hard time finding good hard hard maple locally. Wood crafters has been horrible. The hard maple there can see around corners. :rollno:
  9. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've seen some good deals on neck blanks, but being almost totally reliant on pre-dimensioned woods, eBay has held little promise for me. However, it's the only "suppliler" I know of that takes PayPal.
  10. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    The thing is, not only are there no real wood suppliers within driving distance, but I don't drive either. Oh the joys of being 15. I'll most likely wind up buying from Larry. I emailed him about a week and a half ago, though, and have yet to recieve a reply.
  11. heh, i started my first project when i was 15 (not that im much older now...16) and i bought my wood from larry. he was quick with email but i would just give im a call, hes great guy to work with
  12. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Larry has been busily milling quilt and burl maple. Give him a ring.