1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone can explain how to do this slap bit?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by beam2611, May 9, 2010.

1. beam2611

beam2611

Jan 14, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi Guys,

I found a channel on youtube, where this guy named Andy plays very cool slap lines...

I wonder if anyone can explain how to do this very cool 3 seconds bit starting at 30 seconds into the video. He also does it in some of his other videos.

thanks for your help and enjoy!

2. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Looks like he's popping with two different fingers on his right hand, and has practised nice even triplet timing (thump middle-pop index-pop) with the left hand muting strings on the pops to get nice little fake notes.

3. I think david's correct, the guy in the video spent some serious time woodshedding...that's not an easy tenchique at all, well, mechanically it is simple...but to do it in a musical context and keep both your hands in perfect sync with eachother is very demanding.

Not the same technique, but take a look at how to play a raked triplet pattern, let this video be a lesson on the dangers of hard drugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AILLXh5BCNM

4. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah! Expert village bass videos are the worst!

5. beam2611

beam2611

Jan 14, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    David, After doing a little research on Youtube, I found this video, which seems to be explaining what you are describing. This is more likely to be the technique used than the one used by our substance-induced friend and expert at the village. ;)

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Funny vid. Thing is, he used to be a really solid player as one of the Motown road band bassists. He's also an excellent piano player! I actually use that technique to play triplets. Kinda discovered it on my own years ago but it's nice to see others doing it as well.