1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Can Make A Jazz or Precision but only Ernie Ball can make a Stingray. Discuss.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4StringsEnough, Jul 5, 2012.

1. That's right, anyone can make a Jazz or Precision but only Ernie Ball can make a Stingray

73 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. Only Fender can make a Jazz or Precision. And only Ernie Ball can make a Stingray.

77 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. Sure there are other brands that cop the exact Stingray tone (please list them!)

66 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    As the title says... There are any number of P and J copies at any price point you care to mention which can cop an authentic P or J tone. But, what about the Stingray? Is it only EBMM who can get that tone? Sure, there are others that are close, but not as close as for Precision or Jazz basses? What do you think?

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Ibanez ATK

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    My sons cheap Dean Hillsboro sure does sound like my Ray

4. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    There are quite a few offerings that come pretty close to the Stingray "vibe". However, the "Stingray" sound comes from a variety of factors aside from the pickup complement, (pickup placement and pre-amp play a huge roll). The "Stingray" sound can also vary from differing models (2 band, 3 band, HH, and HS).

5. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I voted option number 2.

Ibanez's ATK is dubbed the "Stingray Killer". I bought one of the $300 models and played it side-by-side to a 3-band HH and a 2-band H Ray. It was close but no cigar. The Prestige model may be closer, heck, it may even match perfectly. For the asking price, I'd just assume buy a Ray and pocket the change.

6. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I agree that there is something special about the old school 2 band MM. Nordstrand just released a 2 band pre that is a "faithful reproduction" of the the old pre-EB.

I really want to give it a whirl!! :bassist:

7. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I'm not sure it qualifies as a copy since it is an EB licensed product but the SBMM's do a great job of creating not only the Stingray, but, the MM tone (IME).

8. Modulus funk unlimited kills the EB stingray

9. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NY/NJ Metro Area
    Perhaps because it's such a terrible bass tone, nobody wants to copy it? :bag:

10. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I feel that only EBMM makes a 'Ray and only Fender makes P and J basses.

Everything else is a clone.

A good one perhaps, but still a clone.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Well said; I have both a 2 and 3 band Stingray; both great basses although not my current tone craving at the moment; tomorrow could be different as it was when they were bought (some 20 years apart)

12. Well fender doesnt own copy rights to its P and J shape thus they are copied by everyone , ernie ball was More on the "ball" and copy righted there property. Thus I dont think your going to see stingrays copied to that degree ever.

13. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Edit: I just posted exactly A-Step-Towards's thoughts.

14. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I'm not really talking about the design; it's the Stingray sound. Personally I think that a large part of it is down to the electronics which they won't sell after-market or OEM.

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Same thing goes for Rics. I'd love to have a real one (EBMM). But if I have spend that much on a new one I'll keep saving and get a custom boutique bass made.

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    So, with your logic a Ray 34 or any of the Stirling by Music Man basses do not sound like the US Music Man Stingrays?

They do have different pre's and pick ups.

Or is it just the Music Man logo on the headstock that does it?

17. Which goes back to what I said about them keeping hold of there "property", EBMM has made it to where copying them to much can result in a lawsuit and they have every right to do this. They also have licensed budget lines like OLP and have made cheaper lines like SUB and the by sterling series, thus its not that profitable to copy a ray.......pickup makers don’t offer many aftermarket pickups as most generally agree there is no sense in "upgrading" a stingray pickup as that’s as good as it gets, because of this attitude towards rays we see less copies, less aftermarket parts and thus less basses with this set up.If you noticed many people "upgrade" and I use that term loosely , there fender basses-very rarely do you see a stingray with mods and if so its almost never a pickup swap.

I had a dean Hillsboro, it was the ugliest bass I owned and felt cheap, I loved my ATK's but they couldn’t hold a candle to my similarly priced 2 band MM sub.

If you want a cheap ray , get a SUB-the electronics alone are worth over 200$ and the whole bass can be had for around 400$-fantastic basses.

18. hampulator

hampulator

Feb 10, 2012
    There was just an exact copy,logo and all,on E-Bay for $250.00 I believe. Didn't sell and may be re-posted right now? But I wonder what that's all about? The only thing it didn't have was the Logo's stamped in the tuners and Bridge. Someones def. ripping off E.B.

19. Hogwash!

Seymour Duncan
    Bartolini
    EMG
    Nordstrand
    Delano
    Lane Poor (defunctish)
    etc

So, maybe not as many replacement pickups as there are for Fender basses, but probably 2nd place for the most replacement pickups. Not to mention the MFD humbuckers that were a Fender/Fullerton successor to their previous design...

20. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i still dont get how atk can copy the sound of a ray? to my ear they sound so much different, even OLP and SUB doesnt came close, so is G&L bass.

SBMM do come close though, but they lack a bit of Ooomph, that defines the Stingray Sound.

Modulus Funk and Sandberg Basic is still in the same category of that Musicman Tone but in a different way.