"Anyone can play bass" semi-rant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vince S., Dec 10, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Today at lunch, my friend, a guitarist, approached me and asked if he could borrow my bass for Battle of the Bands. Apparently, since his bassist does not go to our school, he cannot perform in Battles.

Anyway, I asked him who was going to play bass then, since the bassist wouldn't be allowed to play. He said he would have his rhythm guitarist play bass. I asked if he would know how, and his response: "Dude, of course, everyone knows how to play bass:rolleyes: ."
  2. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Sorry to bust your bubble. Most good guitarists can play bass pretty well.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Anybody with a functional brain and nervous system can play a bass,or any other instrument. Playing said instrument well is a whole 'nother story.:D
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    As much as I'd like to say "Bass is like, a bajillion times harder than guitar"...(well not really ;)) simply filling in on a gig, playing some root notes on a bass is pretty damn easy. And people think that's all bass is: root notes underneath blazing guitar solos or whatever. Well, it could be (damn MTV:D) but a lot of stuff isn't like that.

Damn guitarists.:D
  5. Anybody can play very basic rock bass well enough that the audience won't really care.

For any other style...no.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  7. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Anyone can play power chords too, so whats the diff?!
  8. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Just because something it easier doesn't make it any less legit. That espescially goes for music. I may be easier to bash cymbals that it is to play trumpet, but they're both musicians and therefore demnd the same respect. Music is not a competition, so stop your complaining.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Root Note= 1 string, 1 finger.

Power Chord= 2+ strings, 1 pick.

Numbers don't lie.
  10. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    haha ...

You're right !!!

...Those guitarists are genius's !!
  11. I would have just smashed the bass over his little guitarist head and started screaming, "Play that you !&!$!%#!" while standing over his lifeless body.

Wait. No I wouldn't. I probably would have just shrugged and continued eating.
  12. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I occasionally play power-chords on my bass actually. Power-chords should not be underestimated. Careers have been cemented in power-chords.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sounding like you know what your doing on bass is easier than sounding like you know what you are doing on guitar. Why? People are partial to guitar players.
  14. I would just tell him... hmm naw my dad says you can't borrow it. hah
  15. The guitarist in our band is actually quite good on bass.

I encourage him to play bass :) .

You know the song "Tempted (by the fruit of another)" by Squeeze?

It would be cool if he would sing lead and play bass, I played keys... now that would be a blast!! I am obsessed with that nice tonewheel (Hammond) organ sound in that song and to play it live would be the pimp.

His voice is quite like dude who sings it.

16. MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Hey AltIII!

I read your sig and I have to ask:

What has raisins? The feces? The underwear?
    Aww, forget it.

How about this?

I play guitar better than the guitar players in my band play bass.

Or this?

Q: What question does the guitarist ask the lead singer?

A: Would you like me to start this song too fast, or too loud?

Actually, I shouldn't complain. I have a pretty good working relationship with the guitarists in my band.
  17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Actually, a chord is a group of 3 or more notes, what you're referring to is a double stop. I bet most GUITAR players could of told you that :D

I'd also like to further ToNeS sentiments. When someone un-musical refers to bass as easy, just remind them that you are the one getting paid to have fun on stage, while they talk about how easy it is......after paying the cover charge, of course. :)
  18. Re: in regards to cover bands....

Actually... your customer (the audience) cares.

Many of my friends who attend live music clubs have told me several times:

When you go to a club to hear live music, it's much more interesting when the musicians can swap roles (lead vocals, solos, bass, guitar, keys, what-have-you.) Hearing the same tone, technique, dynamic, etc. ALL NIGHT LONG from the musos can become a bit monotonous. Don't be afraid to mix it up, diversify.