Anyone can tell me how old and how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saorex, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi. As I said in another thread, I bought this bass second hand many years ago. I guess it has been built in the early 80's or even before...

Here's what I know about it:

- Model: Vantage X-99
    - Construction: neck-thru-body
    - Frets: 22 XJ
    - Scale: 34"
    - Weight: Heavy! Somewhere around 20 pounds
    - Electronics: Nowhere, on or inside the bass is something written... so I can't tell.

That's a picture of me playing on it like 4 or 5 years ago.
  2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    20 LBS. ARE YOU JOKING?!?! for a 4 string bass that is ridiculous!
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd hope so, 4 strings usually don't even break the 10 lbs mark. The headstock looks like an Aria, never seen that bass before though.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Vantage is another daughter brand of Samick, mostly produced for the €uropean market. So one can expect decent construction.
    It's not worth much. 400 at most.
  5. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks for the info you could give...

20 pounds, I'm not kidding. It's heavier than my LTD F-255 weighting about 15 pounds.
  6. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Vantage was one of the brands manufactured by the Matsumoku factory in Japan in the late seventies and most of the 1980's. Matsumoku also manufactured for Aria, hence the similar headstock. Unfortunately, Vantages do not have the same cache as Arias but the do sell frequently on ebay from $150-300 depending on age, model, condition, etc. I'd say keep it. For the little money wou will get, you are better off having something as novel. They play and sound great and look good too imo.
  7. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks for all the information and advice.

I didn't want to sell it anyway. It's my father's first bass and I don't think I'll ever sell it. The only thing I might do is change the electronics.

There is still one thing: how can a neck-thru bass, with a construction of this quality cost so low?
  8. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    they don't usually cost high. but it really is a wonder how they cost low to US. kawai f2b is the deal in that department. I am yet to find one available. sob.
  9. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I see. Because I've played with basses more expensive than my Vantage and didn't play/feel/sound as good. I used this vantage for gigs before I bought my LTD, and many soundmen told me it had a great sound.