Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone care to speculate on the tonal effect ...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SlimT, Feb 19, 2004.

1. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I understand that this forum is for serious-minded bass building, but I couldn't think of a more appropriate forum for my question - sacrilegious as it is.

In a fit of manic inspiration, I hatched an idea of how to solve the problem of the holoflake (sparkle) finish on my G-Bass without having
    to pay through the nose to get it refinished professionally.

The idea was inspired by a guitar strap I recently purchased with metal studs.

Aside from the hideous lack of any taste whatsoever, what would the tonal effect be of covering my bass body with upholstery nails to match the my studded strap.

Yeah, I envision covering the entire body with stud-like upholstery nails - nail length is approximately 3/8".

Yes, I do understand that doing this would completely ruin the bass body if I didn't like it. I haven't yet decided to do it - I still have to go shopping for the nails and get a quote on redoing the finish, but it is still a possibility.

:bag:

2. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    That sounds like an awesome idea.
    How heavy are the nails?

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It would be different, thats for sure. If the bass didn't cost you too much, then I say go for it. Just be careful not to pierce the control cavity, that would be bad.

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I had an Ibanez Iceman that I covered with blood red velevet on the front and back, black velvet on the sides and bound it with them upholstery turtle tacks. It fit the style of the body nicely and didn't change the tone really.

Darrin

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Darrin, that sounds oddly... exciting ;)

Got any pics?

6. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I don't, and I am thinking of doing another crap guitar again! I am looking for a velvet elvis this time.

Darrin

7. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Skips:

Thanks! I'm not quite sure how heavy they will be if I completely cover the body as I haven't actually seen the nails. If you meant how big the nails were, they are pretty small and narrow (a narrow gauge).

Nick:

That's an excellent point about the control cavity! I didn't even consider that. I'll have to measure how much wood is above there to make sure the nails are an appropriate length. If the wood is too thin, I may have to resort to clipping the nails off and hot gluing them in around the knobs and battery compartment.

Darrin:

Thanks for your comments! The fact that a real luthier experimented in a similar fashion was reassuring. I agree with Nick - your description was quite alluring. I've got a cheetah Levy's strap, and that might be a cool alternative to the "Heavey Metal G V."

Did you use an adhesive, or was it entirely fastened with the upholstery nails?

I may just have to measure my bass and head to the fabric store!

8. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003

You know, that would probably work, but for some reason the terms "hot glue" and "hot glue gun" seem really out of place in a luthery forum.
    I don't know, not trying to sound snobbish or anything...I think most luthiers would cry if they saw the amount of ..er...odd techniques that goes into my work (including but not limited to: polystyrene, large qantities of wood filler, 2+ gallons of gasoline per bass (haven't tried this idea yet, but I think I will on one of the next 3 basses) and sheet metal.)

9. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I used a good spray adhesive on the main part of the material. The tacks were more for looks of binding.