Anyone catch the new Robert Jordan book yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lisa Weiss, Jan 27, 2003.

1. I finished it off in about two days. Don't really want to spoil it for someone who hasn't read it yet, but I'm interested to see if there are any other avid readers of RJ.

2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought Jordans books got bit dull towards the end of Wheel of Time. Robin Hobb or Raymond E. Feist, now that's where it's at - in fact I'm currently obsessed with Hobb's latest, the 'Fool's Errand' :cool:
  3. I just bought it for my girlfriend (and she just finished it yesterday). I am a bit behind though - I am just about to start book 5. I read one every once in a while, so maybe in five years time, I'll get to the new one! :)

I am getting into Feist, Eddings and the Hobbs books are currently on the waiting list.

Some of my favourites of the genre are the Guy Gavriel Kay books (being a fellow Canadian) - in particular 'The Fionavar Tapestry'. I highly recommend his stuff.

and in case any one wonders, yes, Jethro Tull rules! ;)
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    are you talking about book 10 of the wheel of time? haven't gotten that far yet :D soon, though...soon. god, wasn't book 5 boring? oh well, i suppose that's what you get with such a detailed series of books.

all of the eddings books are great, in my opinion...haven't read feist yet, either.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hobb is amazing. The Assassin trilogy is one of my favorite series of books.

Jordan is also pretty rockin', but goddamn he wrote a lot. I got up to about book four. Then I had to go back to school, and I have a feeling I'll have to go back and re-read that before I can go on to five. Only 5 more 500+ page novels after that. Oy.
  6. I haven't read any Hobbs, but I've read all the Feist, Eddings and Kay. Out of those guys, I'd have to say Eddings is my favorite. I particularly enjoy the Sparhawk series.

I generally reread the entire series when Robert Jordan puts a new one out, since it's so long between books, but I didn't get to do that this time, since all my books are in storage. It took me a while to get back in the swing of the thing again.

I'm kind of disappointed in both books 9 and 10, since not a whole lot happened in either book. He tied up some loose ends he needed to, but nothing really happened that was new until the last chapter of 10, and while what happened was huge, I have to wait another year and a ahlf to find out how it comes out....if in fact it get resolved in 11!

7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Giminy crickets, how many books is he going to write? I remember back in the day, when there were only about four out, and word was that wacko Jordan was going to write NINE (gasp) books in the series. Now he's up to at least 11. How many is he going to do?

BTW- Does anyone know what the longest series is? (Not counting Star Wars or Star Trek crap.) This isn't trivia, I really don't know.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  9. I think he's now going to 16 books. It was changed from 9 to 13, and the last rumor I heard was 16.

I suspect that the longest running series is The Bobbsey Twins, which weighs in at 116 books.

10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    He's got to have mad carpal tunnel, yo.