Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone catch the PBS documentary, 'Two Towns of Jasper?'

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 23, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I know it was aired by the Houston PBS affiliate last night, but not by the PBS channel on DirecTV sattelite. There were previews on Nightline on Tues. night, and more coverage is scheduled on PBS and Nightline this evening. Timing for airing of the documentary and media attention correspond to the 5th anniversary of the racially-motivated murder of James Byrd, Jr. in Jasper, TX.

Curious to hear anyone's reaction to the film, since I was unable to catch it. I work near Jasper and drive through it twice a day on my 80 mile commute (160 mile daily round trip). The fact that I've chosen to make this drive for four years now rather than move closer should give you some idea on how I feel about this area.

Comments?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Crap! I thought that was coming on tonight! :mad:

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That was the air date in Houston, I believe. It might very well be airing tonight in your area - and since you mention that, I ought to check the DirecTV schedule to see if I can find another opportunity to catch it.

4. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    The PBS programming this week has been outstanding.

Woodchuck, according to this website, "Two Towns ..." will air again on GPTV on Jan 25th at midnight (I might be wrong, if you care to check link):
    http://www.pbs.org/cgi-registry/whatson/template.cgir?s=WGTV&t=3&p=675&c=d&d=2003-01-23

There were two other great programs this week:

American Experience: The Murder of Emmett Till
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/
    About a black youth from Chicago, racially-motivated murder 100 days before Rosa Parks. Unbelievable this happened in the US.

and

Journey of Man
    http://www.pbs.org/previews/2002fall/joum.html

From mutation markers in our blood, a geneticist follows the paths of man throughout the world. From 50,000 years ago in the Kalihari, man took off for the rest of the world. We all evolved from the San Bushmen. Incredible.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I read about the Emmitt Till murder back in '75. As a kid, I found it VERY disturbing, especially after seeing the photos. As a kid, I couldn't believe that a man could be so evil as to do that to a child. And for what? His skin color?! ***?! :mad:

6. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    The family was from Missippi. His dad died in WWII. His mom and he moved to Chicago.

When Emmett was 14, he went to Missippi to visit his relatives, help on the farm. Adjoining the farm was a store where kids would go to hang out.

Emmett made a "wolf whistle" at the wife of the store owner.

He was later abducted and murdered.

There was an arrest and a trial, but the accused were found not guilty. The trial was a sham.

Months after the trial, the accused confessed / revealed to a magazine the details of the murder.

This wasn't the 1800's. This was 50 years ago!

One of my friends is from Mississippi. I have been meaning to ask him about this. What is the story with that state?

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, there's the Trent Lott story, for starters... not to let a careless remark encapsulate the sentiment of a whole state, but I'd say you could look at Lott's political career and infer a thing or two about the state that has kept him in Congress for years.

Curiously, I heard a story recently about political efforts to thwart a slavery museum from being established in Mississippi. The museum has been forced to find a home in Alabama, apparently.

Museum story: http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=911174