Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone catch U2 @ the half last night?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JohnL, Jun 7, 2001.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    What was up with the NBA showing U2 at halftime of the game? I was wondering if the NBA is sponsoring their tour or something. There is certainly some kind of marketing tie-in, as I noticed Bono picking up a basketball (was I the only one that noticed it was a WNBA ball?!) and dribbled it a few times before throwing it to the crowd. It appears, from observing his ball-handling skill, that he did indeed make the correct career choice by going into music! :) What did you guys think of the performance, other than the fact that Edge & Bono got most of the face time? (what else is new for us bottom-dwellers)

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I thought it was pretty good. I was really psyched that they played "Where the Streets Have No Name" ... it's my all-time fave U2 track... They are such a solid, tight band. Mullin and Clayton aren't flashy, but they serve the songs so well.

I've got tickets to see them next week at the First Union Center here in Philly!! :cool: Can't wait!!

GREAT game too!!!!!!! :D

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I'm going to see them in August - I've heard tickets are selling for up to £500. I'll wait a big longer, and if it goes high enough to afford a new bass, it'll be a pretty hard decision to make...

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    £500??? Damn!! And I thought ticket prices were high here! My U2 tickets cost $130 apiece (around £94) from the venue box office, but they're "club box" level seats :cool: ...

Is £500 the face value of the ticket, or does that include a broker's markup? At that price, those seats had better be onstage!!

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Looks like I didn't do a very good job of expressing myself (as usual...) - £500 is the price people are prepared to pay on the black market. (Do you think I'd be playing a MIA P-Bass through a 50 watt Laney combo if I had £500 to spend on concert tickets? :)) I paid £45 for my ticket (that would be about $60, wouldn't it?) - with the possibility of selling it for more than 11 times it's worth, not a bad bit of business... :p

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This is some bloody "Tomb Raider"/NBA crossover. U2's "Elevation" is featured on the TR soundtrack. What TR has to do with the NBA is beyond me. There's one degree of separation missing there...

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As much as I like U2, with the game that was going on I thought it was a distraction. I would have rather seen the experts eating crow at halftime;)

Anyone catch Ben Harper on Leno after the game? Talk about the bass player getting no camera time...Juan Nelson was in the opening shot and was not seen again until the absolute end of the song ("Sexual Healing"). He appeared to be playing a Blue Jazz V like mine.

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I quess crow is a gourmet item these days in LA. Ahem.

Even with U2 selling out with all the commercial tie-ins I still like them. I know Adam Clayton has a couple vintage P's and J's and I couldn't catch what he was palying. Looked like a Fender headstock though.

First U2 in '84 Concert "Under a Blood Red Sky" at the Spectrum in Philly.

Go Sixers.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    (to the tune of "with or without you")

"music related! music re-laaaaa-ted"

"this threeeaaadddd....is music related"

(to the tune of "new years day")

"so off it goes to Big Wheel's home..."

10. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Wheeeeeeeeeee!

11. He was playing a jazz, didn't catch which one...