1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone changed from Innovation 140 UB to Honey

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by what the pluck, Dec 6, 2011.

1. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Hey there
    just wondering if anyone has swapped from innovation 140UB to the Honey set?

I like the ubs pizz and would like to stick with that sound, is it still there with the honeys? and how different are they arco? did you notice much difference straight away?

If anyone has swapped them over what do you think?

thanks

2. I have no experience with the normal honey set, just the (aluminium) high C and a similar chromesteel wound test string (honey thype core) and the 140B set (including the aluminium and a chromesteel test high C.

If you like the sound of the 140B the Honeys are less open in the highs and have more low midrange. The Honeys sound more like wound gut and the 140B more like brighter Evah Pirazzi Weich. So the sound is quite different. The tension of the Honeys is less than the 140B, I like the higher tension, because there is more dynamic range (you can pluck harder and still get more volume/intensity out of the string with the higher tension).

I disliked the pizz of the 140B A and E for jazz (too less sustain, well they are made for bowing) so I replaced them with Spirocore Weich (S42W for 4/4, I have a 4/4 bass, the standard 3/4 3885,0W Spirocore Weich have a little bit more tension than these) which fit nicely tensionwise. Bowing them is a bit harder than the 140B but I can live with that. So if you would like to stay with the 140B sound you may want to replace the lower strings only. I tried the Spiro S42W D string but the 140B fit much better in sound. You may know that a lot of bassists (at least in a certan period of time) who play gut or wound gut on the G and D played steel on A and E. So my combination is similar to this.
    I still want to try one other kind of strings, but this is a combination I can live with nicely.

Maybe you can describe a bit what you dislike about the 140B or why you want to try the Honeys. I would say if you like a more modern sound, stick to 140B/Spiro, if you like more the old school sound, go with the Honeys. Both can be bowed, the main difference is sound and tension.

3. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Hey there doublemidi,

Thanks for your reply. I am referring to the ultra blacks - 140 ubs, not the 'b' The B are the orchestral/ jazz set, and the 140 ubs are aimed more as a pizz/slap string, where as the honey is Jazz/ orchestral (i think thats right)

Although i dont play slap I like the pizz tone of the UBs (or maybe im just used to it) I dont play jazz I mainly play a sort of world/ ethnic/ alternative/ gypsy kinda thing (its hard to describe!) but am practicing arco alot more and the UBs just dont cut it, they're probably a notch under ok played arco. So what im hoping to achieve is the same pizz thump as the UBs with better arco. I cant really afford to experiment with strings and thought that since I am 1/2 way happy with the UBs the Honeys might be a good next step.

So was hoping to get impressions from anyone who may have played both strings pizz and arco.

cheers

4. I have overseen the U in the UB. Sorry. I never tried the Ultrablacks since they don't make a high C that I need.

The 140B has the same kind of core as the 140UB: multifiber synthetic.
    The 140B has a monofiber core and sounds different.
    Since the 140UB has a higher tension than most of the other Innovation strings I would take a 140B string for testing first, they have a higher tension than 140H/Honeys.
    The 140B strings bow really good, only the A and E have a bit less sustain when played pizzicato, so I replaced them with Spirocore Weich.
    I'm not sure if you can get single Innovation strings in Australia, but I know that you can get single strings with free shipping from UK suppliers.
    You might want to ask Daf Lewis (daflewis in talkbass, I think) who is involved with Innovation string development what might be the right string for you, but first think about if you want less tension, a more gut-like sound or same (higher) tension sounding a bit brighter/more open. Both, 140B and 140H/Honeys, are made for bowing, the Honeys have more thump and the 140B less when played pizzicato. If you want a high plucking impulse in your sound take the Honeys. If you want more of a continuous sound with some plucking impulse, but not too much, take the 140B.
    It's rather a matter of taste and what kind of sound you are used to. I could play your kind of music with both sets, but might (or might not) replace the lower strings (A and E) of the 140B set with strings with some more sustain.

5. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks for that. Yeah I noticed the core is braided in the UBS and bs, so maybe the pizz sound would be closer. I will track down daff for his opinions

Thanks

6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Are the Honeys any thicker than the spiros or evahs? Do they require any fitting of the nut and bridge?

7. The Honeys are a bit thicker on the G, D and A string. The E string has about the same diameter as a Spiro. Honey G: 1,7 mm / Spiro 3/4 Mittel G: 1,31 mm

You should widen nut and bridge slots a bit for them, since it might damage the winding of the string if you don't do it.

8. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Ok cool. And how does the tension relate to spirocores?

9. A bit less tension than Spiro Weich 3/4, I think.
    Can't say exactly since my acoustic bass is 110cm (where I tried the Honeys) and my EUB is 105cm (where I use the Spiro Weich 3/4). The strings always feel harder on the solid body EUB.

If you want less tension with a sound closer to the Evah Weich (but with a bit more highs and less tension than Evah Weich) you can try the Braided (140B). The pizz is softer but the arco is really nice. The Braided are more modern sounding (some highs, but not much), the Honeys are more for traditional jazz styles (huge attack, low mids and no highs) and bow a bit less good than the Braided.