1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone choose a lesser bass over an expensive one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EighthNotes, Sep 29, 2009.

1. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    Hey guys n gals, it has been a long while since I've posted on here (don't expect to remember me). I was wondering if anyone else (who plays out, in a band or otherwise) has bought a pricier bass to add to their stable but finds they like an older and/or cheaper bass better and feels bad about buying the new one but doesn't wanna sell it? That's a mouthful sorry. In my case I had a MIM Precision that I put an SPB-3 in and still was not quite happy with the sound, bought a jag, love it but am finding the P really does sound awesome (since I have something to compare it to I guess) and may be more suitable in the band situation. I don't want to get rid of the jag but in my head it seems so wrong. Does that make any sense to anyone???

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I gig all the time with a $50 garage sale bass while the botiques stay at home.

Your paying audience can not tell or care.

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    sure it makes sense. most companies as a rule will charge the most they can for a bass while still moving an acceptable number. Due to marketing some companies can move more product at a higher price so they do it. This however doesnt say anything about the end quality or performance. If you dont get what im saying go browse the Bose website for some audio systems.

4. lazytech

lazytech

Jan 29, 2008
    Ive been through several more expensive basses but i always end up back with my peavey fury.

I got a l2000 now and i think it will stick with me for quite a while, ill never sell my peavey though.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Yep. My $500 Fender P/J beats my 30th Anniversary Stingray, which I paid a whole lot more for. I'm on the fence about selling the Ray, it really sounds nice and will probably have collector value down the road, but it seems a real waste to have it just sit in the case.

6. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I traded a Hamer Cruise5 with 2tech bridge even for a Dean Edgepro5. I simply love the Dean.

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i dont care for a bass over like 500$ i like to have fun and not worry about crap and i find most tone comes from technique.

8. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've owned basses that cost over $1,000 and a some close to that. Right now my ONLY two basses are a modified Squier 5 string (probably worth around $300) and a '87 Fender MIJ Power Jazz that I picked up on craigslist for $250. I owned a $1000+ Ibanez Prestige bass that I sold shortly after getting the Squier, just because I liked the Squier better. I liked the way it played, sounded, and felt better than the high end ibby. I have not once regretted it. If you have something that you love to play, who cares what it cost?

9. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    SX FTW.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I wish I was the same.

I do a lot of gigs and I finally decided to dump my 3 Sadowskys for used MIA Fenders. Couldn't be happier after listening to recordings of my bass in the mix.

11. Hard to beat the SX price -- fun to play, also. And you could pay it off with one nice-paying gig...

12. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I would probably be more picky if it was not for my situation , i am in a college band just playing drunk parties . When i finish school and am pushing a band real seriously i doubt all be playing my cheap part basses anymore, but for now it works

13. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Had a beautiful Boutique bass from a well known NYC luthier...Was fantastic but could not justify something that was 6X the price of some wonderfully playing basses already in the stable....

14. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    Holy quick replies Batmen! ^This is closest to my issue. I love the jag, love the way it sounds, the way it feels, the way it looks, but my P has so much history with me, sits better in a mix (as most P's do), and just screams at me everytime I go near it. Like I said, I know I'll regret selling the Jag if I do, but it's hard for me to choose between two incredible axes. I don't know how some of you guys own 5, 10, 20+ instruments.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I sold off all of my $2000, $3000 and $6000 basses and built parts basses and bought cheaper basses.

16. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i had a lakland, a MIA jazz, and a stingray but i always go back to my MIM jazz...it just feels right.

17. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    I got a $700 Ibanez over a $1000 MTD. I liked the Ibanez better.

18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'm probably going to sell my SR. It's funny, because I bought another 30th Ray a couple years ago, it didn't top my P/J, so I sold it. A year or so down the road, I came across a NOS 30th, remembered how much I liked the first, and bought that one. That's the one I have now. :meh:

19. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Can't agree more. My SX Jazz is my main player then my Ric and my MIA P bass. My SX gets the most playing in my one band and at home practicing. My other band I'm more even between the three.

I don't regret my decision at all though, if this $100 cheap bass speaks to me, so be it. :)

20. I went out to buy a MIM Jazz, or possibly a MIA. Came home with a Squier CV Jazz. :D