Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone compare the Jack Casady bass to the lakeland Skyline hollowbody bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 27, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I havent seen any comparisons and i was just curious as to how the 2 compare. Thanks

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I use to own a J.C bass.
    Nice bass, great sound, fragile,.
    I've played the lakland, great sound, more versatile with two pickups.
    Much better made.
    To me the laklnd is a better bass.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    We just got a JC in my store last week. I looked at it and thought, "Hmmm. A Epiphone for $1199 list?! Bah!" Then I plugged it in. Wow, that thing is cool! I was expecting a rather round, mellow tone, but this thing roared! It's really growly and punchy; a great rock bass. I was shocked.

I've briefly played the Lakland, and that's a killer bass too. It's a bit more mellow than the Epi, and does have two pickups for a bit more versatility. I really liked the neck on the Lakland - it felt very natural. It just kind of fell into a comfortable space in my hand, where as most basses take a few moments to adjust. Dig?

4. MAJOR METAL

The Jack bass rocks!

5. MAJOR METAL

Their is a great pic around here of a blue Lakland Hollowbody, one of the nicest hollowbodys i have seen.

6. MAJOR METAL

7. you mean...

this pic??? :ninja: :ninja:

[​IMG]

8. Ben, did you play the Jackbass on all three settings?

I agree that it roars on the highest setting, but on the lowest setting it can give you some of the most mellow, round tones you can get out of a bass. The Casady has to be heard/played live to be appreciated. At least I think so.

I've haven't played a Lakland yet, though.

Mike

9. MAJOR METAL

Hi Mike

When i first got the Jack Bass i would only play it on the lowest output for the first 3 months i had it, it was incrediable sweet tone.How do you like it's tone through the B 100 R ?.

10. MAJOR METAL

Beautiful :)

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Stunning...simply stunning! Then I checked the list price on this bass. STUNNING...simply STUNNING :eek:

12. I think this one was USA hollowbody...

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I had a JC goldtop and loved it but took a chance and bought the Skyline Hollowbody based on all reviews. The Skylines best feature is the feeling- perfect neck, fretwork, balance and a nice curved body that dont cut into your arm. They cansound quite close but the Skyline can do sounds ranging from a real oldschool stingray to a Gibson EB-2. But the sounds on the JC are a bit more "raw" and I miss them sometimes. But for me the playability is more important. I dont have to think when playing tis bass. It´s become an extention of my hands. I may mod it with new Darkstar pickups as that is an option Lakland has on all their basses in 2005. They are supposed to be great updated reproductions of the Hagstrom humbuckers used on Guild and Hagstrom basses.
    Here´s a link to the pickups http://www.hammoneng.com
    and if you scroll down there is a pic of a skyline with darkstars installed.

14. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I own both of the basses in question plus a Gibson LP Signature. All are keepers. The JC is very different from the Skyline and much lighter. I would give the Skyline the edge in build quality. Tonally, they are different as well. I like the JC on the low impedence setting for its sweet, warm old school tone. The Skyline can also get sweet and warm on the single coil setting and gets much darker on the Humbucker setting. I'm glad I don't have to choose between these two basses, because I love them both, for different reasons. Then there is the GranDaddy...the Gibson LP Signature. This base is incredible. The neck is faster than the Epi copy and the tone much more lush. It's a real special bass. I don't take it out of the house. That is what the Epi is for.

15. MAJOR METAL

Thanks for your nice write up on this for me. How would you asay the Jack bass compares with the LP sig bass?.

16. MAJOR METAL

Isint the USA version in the 4 k range?, who makes the bodys?.

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, $4200 according to Dan's price sheet on the website.

I didn't see the Skyline version listed but I might have missed it.

18. Hey, Kevin, Happy New Year.

The tone through my B100R is absolutely great. Old school to the hilt!

Honestly, I haven't been playing my Jackbass that much lately, since I bought the Peavey Cirrus. :oops:

I'm looking to get some kind of a P-bass (Mike Dirnt, Sting, '51 reissue) for a real vintage vibe, but this thread has made me re-think this; I already have a vintage-sounding bass - THE JACK CASADY !!! :bassist:

I would like to check out a Lakland, but then again I'm in no hurry.

I'll try to PM you, but I'm having trouble with my e-mail.

Mike :)

19. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Comparing the JC to the LP Sig, the neck on the LP Sig feels faster, slimmer and thinner. The quality of the build and components on the LP are also superior. The big difference is the tone. The LP Sig has a much, much warmer, lusher, fuller, richer tone, as you would expect. The JC emmulates it, but doesn't quite reach it. That said, the JC is an excellent sounding bass, and for the money is a great value.

20. MAJOR METAL

Great. Thanks