1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone could give me good advice on eq the bass?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by doublebass77, Jul 23, 2012.

1. doublebass77

doublebass77

Mar 25, 2009
    Louisville
    Had prob;ems recently with not finding the sound I wanted on my bass...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Keep turning knobs until you find it ;)

3. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    what´s your current settings, and what´s wrong with them?

4. Cartoonist

Cartoonist

Feb 21, 2012
    Australia
    Do you mean with a 10 band eq or something like that? According to my Hartke guide, boost or attenuate each frequency one frequency at a time until it sounds right then move on to the next one. Then listen to your overall sound and adjust accordingly.

If you have a 3 knob setting (bass/middle/treble) then adjust them individually as above.

If you only have 2 knobs they are a bit more interactive as attenuating them will effectively boost the mids.

Also be aware that different frequencies will seem louder or quieter depending on playing volume so you might need to adjust accordingly.

Finally, when playing in a band your goal will be to cut through the mix. You may need to up your mids in this case.

Other than that, just play around till you get what works for you.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    All of the above, with one extra tip:

Drag your head 15-20' from the speaker enclosure (you may need to borrow a longer speaker cable). Play and adjust.

Riis

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Play your iPod through your amp with the EQ set flat. You'll discover how truly awful your cabinet is. Fixing that is the first hurdle to getting a good bass sound.

7. Sometimes to emphasize certain frequencies (low mid punch, hi mid shear, treble boost, etc) you should cut some bands instead of boosting. You pay a lot for clean amp boost, use it.

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Start with a flat eq. For a graphic eq this means set the sliders at zero. For knobs this usually means set them at 12 o'clock. Then adjust for your taste.

Aslo try something like the VT bass pedal.

Also you may need new strings and a setup on your bass, and your bass amp could be cheap and just sound bad.

10. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Do you have a better example of what kind of tone you are looking for? Is this through a PA or are we talking about your bass amp being the problem?

Couple things: you tone can only be as good as your weakest link in your chain. Most of the times, when my tone is wrong; I am the responsible because of how I am playing. Is it too boomy? Mess around with a highpass filter of 50-60hz and cut around 200-300hz. Need more finger/pick noise? boost somewhere between 1-3khz. On all my basses boosting the upper mids there gets me where I want to be.