Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone covering the roots?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by deepbob, Oct 27, 2003.

1. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    perhaps a silly question, as few acts have two MCs that can do what these guys do, but hub has me absolutely mesmerized, and am dying to do stuff with his riffs...

"i remain calm" is driving me nuts, i'm trying to transpose the middle bit of his riff throughout the tune (diddlin on blues scale off f against the odd woof or slide off the open e once in awhile, against a thick hip hop live drummer), anyone know if he is dropping to the E off the main riff on the up beat rythm before he works down to the e resolve? or is he sliding f#/g(b) down to the f? perhaps both.

anyway, i'm curious if anyone otu there is trying to cover his stuff somehow, with or without the MCs, etc.

:confused:

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Me and two friends have played through some roots songs instrumental like before.

and some rapping, but it's hard to rap and play :p

just jamming though, not really churning anything that amazing out, jsut like "hey, you know some roots?" "yeah" "alright let's go!"

I remain calm is a very catchy song, I really like that one.

that's probably their best album, do you want more?!??

I'm not a big fan of the new one, though it does have some good tracks.

3. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    hehee, man i couldn't imagine trying to rap while playing, set drumming is about the only thing i can manage more than one stream of consciousness at a time in, while that's hardly the same thing.

i haven't heard the newer stuff, i only really started listening a couple months back, and yes do you want more is pure entertainment.

would love any other tips on your favorites from them.

cheers.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, the only thing I can really say right off the bat, HUB uses space a lot, he is very choice with his notes, and timing. Often there will be a rich groove and his bass will only come in every so often, not a regular thing.

that and he likes those open sounding intervals, 5s, 9s that type of stuff. :p

MC divinity raps while playing bass, she does both acts excellently, it's very impressive.

5. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    oh yeah, that's why i love his stuff so much so far.

i remain calm is a great example, againt he e scoops in relation to the f scale he's workin from or indeed the rythm he's playing subtley down the three half steps of the blues scale there on the upbeats are great examples.

i'll check into divinity, thanks for the tip.