1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone currently using the "EMG BQC system"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rickett Customs, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Is there anyone in TB that has the EMG bqc system in any of their basses? I've been heavily bartolini influenced in the past, but want to put a new pre in my NSCR5.

How do you like it?

[​IMG]

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Bump:cool:

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Had it in a bass I just returned, along with EMG DC/CS. Loved the setup...came to a disagreement with the builder plus found an axe that fits me better (MTD Kingston Zephyrs) so I dumped it.

But it's a great tone circuit, I'd reccommend it in conjunction with active EMGs for sure!

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Modulus Q4 has EMG 35CS pickups and an EMG BQS eq system. I think if you already like EMG's, and a 3-band eq, you'll like it. My Spector NS4CRFM came with an EMG BTS 2-band eq system, -which I think is another cool eq system, but I personally prefer a 3-band eq.

5. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I've used the 2 band BTC preamps on a few of my personal basses and think they sound pretty good. The BQS uses the same 2 band section. I've heard the mid control might be too narrow, but that's purely anecdotal, since I haven't tried one myself.

6. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I have two EMG 40 DC 5's in the most recent bass I've built and am using. I have the complete BQS system. This has vol, pan, and the two concentric pots- one bass/treble, the other mid freq select/ cut boost. It sounds great. There is only one complaint- the plastic knobs EMG provides aren't all that great, but so what? The system does exactly what it's supposed to do. It works well with the bass and pickups in it.
    I also have a CIJ Fender Jazz Bass, and that has the stock, passive Japanese pickups. I installed an EMG BTC in place of the stock tone pot, and that works GREAT! The EMG systems are very nicely made, using high quality components, are reasonably priced, and are available pretty much everywhere. Also, it doesn't require a degree in electronics to install due to the excellent wiring diagrams they provide. My other bass has Alembic WMXY 5 string pickups (3) and vol, two pan pots, and the Stanley Clarke tone circut. I installed this in 1994. It KILLS, but the EMG equipped bass stands alone as a great sounding bass right up there with the Alembic equipped bass at MUCH less cost- $400 retail, that's for the pickups and the BQS- vs. - in 1994 dollars- about $600 MY (then) DEALER COST for the Alembic components. I wonder what Alembic would charge today for the system in my bass?

Matt R likes this.
  7. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Quick note: the picture you posted is of the 5-knob BQS system. The BQC system mentioned in your post is this 4-knob affair:

[​IMG]

It has the same controls as the BQS, but squeezes the bass and treble controls onto a concentric double pot.

I've had one of these in my Warmoth Jazz-bass since it was put together in 2000. It's my main bass, and has received the overwhelming majority of my playing attention for almost 8 years now, so I've got a pretty solid idea of exactly what the preamp is capable of. The pickups are the EMG-JV set, which is EMG's take on a vintage J pickup.

It was the idea of sweepable mids that drew me to the BQC system. I'd also rather liked the tone shaping abilities I'd heard in bases wth a 2-band EMG eq section. Putting together two elements that I liked seemed a no-brainer.

All and all I've been quite pleased with the BQC. The bass knob's boost and cut is musical and extremely useful: the sound doesn't get overly muddy even when diming the knob. There are a pair of DIP switches on the circuit board that let you choose the knee frequency of the treble knob. That feature was just plain great, because I got to choose from 4 options for how my treble control would behave.

The mid control is great too. I've heard the same opinion that DavidRavenMoon mentioned from some people online: that the mid controls frequency band (Q) was too narrow, but I don't feel that to be the case, at least not to my ear. Boosting the low mids helped me keep my notes defined in the midst of a sheets-of-sound guitarist in an experimental punk band. Cutting the center or low mids along with some low and high boost yields a great slap tone.

I'll agree with LHbassist. My primary gripe is that the knobs EMG provides are just iffy. If I'd been annoyed enough by it, I would have bought new ones by now though. It's a purely cosmetic complaint, and the sound is where the rubber meets the road.

I'm going to be taking the BQC out of my bass here soon. Sort of the inverse of you, I'm headed toward the Bartolini sound in my preferences, and will be taking the preamp and pickups out and hopefully selling them to a good home. EMG says that their "system" preamps are for EMG pickups only, so my BQC system will come out in favor of either an Aguilar or an Audere. An Audere with a 4-band EQ section is tempting, because I'm really going to miss the mid knob + sweep on my BQC.

Hope this helped.

8. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I believe it's about $3,000+ for the Series II electronics.

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Thanks for your post, 4StringTheorist! You have described the exact reason why I am swapping the Spector Tone Pump Jr and EMG-SSD electronics from my Legend 5 and replacing them with an EMG 40P/J and BQC set up. The Tone Pump is OK, I just want more control of the tone and the sweepable mids are key. Most of the time with my active basses, I set the bass and treble boost or cut and only adjust the mid to vary the tone song to song.

10. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

You know, I never really recognized it consciously, but this is how I used the EQ on my bass most of the time as well!

11. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I have a strange circut in my bass...it has three pickups, two pans, two notch filters with a two way toggle for each filter. It is powered by a single 9 volt battery. No power supply, or additional batteries. It is the "Stanley Clarke" tone circut. I think the series two electronics are more elaborate, or at least a little different somehow. Either way, my bass sounds amazing with this combination. I'm not even sure if Alembic even offers this setup anymore.

12. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I use the BQS on my 5 build. Similar.I used it to gain a variety of tones and it works. Loads of tone shaping The Only complaint?, the rubber "safety" knobs. Great product cheesy knobs.

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Well, it looks like the only dilemma will be finding good replacement knobs that'll go good with my spector.:p

14. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I had the MEC preamp in my Warwick Thumb 5 BO replaced with the EMG BQC 3-band preamp with the variable mid. I AM THRILLED!!!! The sound of my bass has really "opened up" and the variable mid adds massive tonal versatility!!!!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

15. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Rubber? They don't use the black plastic knobs anymore?

The metal knobs that come with Basslines preamps work, as do others. Just get some Fender style dome knobs. They make the concentric knobs that will fit also.

16. i've got EMG BTC + EMG VMC (var.mid.) in my IBZ SR505,
    2 bands are great, mid control is only usable for low mids scoop

17. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    OK, just completed my swap, Tonepump Jr adn SSD pickups out, BQC and EMG 40P&J in. Wow. Big difference. Much more control of the tone, very musical EQ. The mid control works very nicely at adding or subtracting frequencies. I was tentative about the change, but I am glad that I have done it now.

18. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    I have it and it is very versatile. When i want a bit more thump, i turn up the bass. when i want acoustic/ stand up tone, i turn up bass and treble down. if i need to solo i turn up mids. Everything i need. It is great. I am not using it in my new custom, but definitely worth it

19. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have, and it's pretty remarkable. I have the BQC, along with a pair of EMG 35TW pickups, on two different basses originating from the workshop of John Carruthers. Controls are volume for each pickup, with single-coil activated by pulling up on those knobs, and two stacks: sweepable mids, and Bass/Treble. It took me a while to appreciate just how effective this system is, but the range of tonal control is astounding - besides the virtues of fully sweepable mids, the single-coil option is very cool. I've found a great woody/acoustic sound with the neck pickup single-coiled and the bridge volume slightly down, the sweep completely clockwise and stepped back in volume. Quick change to nasty funk? sweep the mid-range clockwise and boost it - and bring the neck pu back to double-coil - and you'll swear you have a flanger going with a sound that is chewy-thick yet cutting.

One thing to note - this system is very high-output - an extreme boost to the bass may put your pre-amp into clipping, and for really clean play I back off the volume on both pickups so as to reduce left-hand noise.

Prior to this, my best axe was an Alembic Rogue with the three-toggle-switch system. That axe got a lot of great sounds, but I felt that the slightest mis-judgment on the Q-knob could completely change your sound. I'm preferring this EMG system in many ways for predictability, repeatability...and overall great sound! However, that Alembic did have the quickness and dynamic sensitivity of good passive pickups, and the EMG's don't quite get there...but I think that's a nuance that is lost in most practical applications.

20. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland