Anyone Deal with Asperger's Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by randysmojo, Apr 28, 2012.

1. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    Well you know not everyone that has Asperger's shows every aspect of it. Are you qualified to diagnose it? I get heavily obsessed with things I'm interested in, have issues with social interaction, and have had problems with jobs that require interacting with the public. There are other issues too, but I should have to go over it with you. I will get the diagnoses and go from there and I can because it is my life, not anyone else's. I have to deal with my issues, not you.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, point thoroughly missed.

3. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    Not really. Just not considered right for me. That is clearly your opinion and I have a right to mine and it doesn't make one right and one wrong, but you fail to see mine as well so we don't have the same point of view and that is fine.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Except that your view and mine are not in conflict, hence why I find your responses befuddling.

The only thing where we appear to differ is that you seem to have already convinced yourself that you have a particular condition that is very specific, and it may not actually fit at all. I'm saying don't get wrapped up in that, and in the meantime focus on finding someone who can work through the stuff you want to work through. You'll have to do with that no matter what the doctor says, and the process will be the same. But at least that's a constructive way to forge ahead, rather than asking people how they cope with a condition you may or may not even have.

5. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    Well, actually I have stated several times that O want to find out if that is it or not and if not continue to look into what my issue is. I also just simply asked if anyone might have dealt with Asperger's because that MIGHT be what I'm dealing with. Just purely out of curiosity of their experience to help me maybe understand what it is which might in turn help me figure out my issues. Thanks for trying to help, but I really am not resigned to this being my issue. I just am starting a journey to figuring out what is truly going on in my life. I might be very close to loosing a good job and a great wife, so it is important for me to start somewhere and get this figured out ASAP before I rune what is good in my life!!!!

6. +1!
    What specifically were you curious about? I'm not really sure what you are trying to do here.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My older brother had Asperger's Syndrome, but he took his life when I was 15 (2003). He couldn't play an instrument, but he loved the hell outta music waaaay more than I ever thought about from now til I die. None of the music in my life would have been the same had he not been my older brother.

That aside, I am friends with a guy my own age that has AS too. He's a very intelligent man and is a great conversationalist if people can just relax about his mannerisms. Think of a mix of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory and Mr. Spock from Star Trek. He's incredibly logical, but is equally fascinated by the arts much like my brother was. To bring it back to a musical analogy, he'd be a theory guy more than a "feel" player. It's very enlightening to hear my friend's perspective on something like a movie or album since he takes things in much more differently than most people do.

To be completely vulnerable and honest, the Spock analogy almost makes me tear up because he acknowledges, in a humorous and heartfelt way, that I am Kirk to him because I respect him and feel he's a colleague and not some pity case. Call me a nerd for using that if you want, but nobody looked down on Spock...which is exactly how I view him. I feel sorry for the people who can't get past something as superficial as someone's mannerisms to have an amazing friendship with someone as brilliant as my friend :)

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    The OP title is Anyone Deal with Asperger's Syndrome?

Angus (and others), since you're not dealing with it, why are you posting? And, since you don't understand that your replies are coming off as mean spirited and unmotivating, I suspect you have a diagnosis of your own. :eek:

IMO, seems to me that you're on the verge of practicing medicine without a license so I suggest you stop. :eek:

Randy, stop feeding the troll(s) by responding. I suggest you search for some autism forums and try again with your request for assistance.

Good luck.

9. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    He title says it. I was just wondering of anyone might have dealt with Asperger's as I am trying to learn about it. If that is so hard to understand, I really wish people could keep the things that are not related to that out of it. I don't want to hear about others opinions of why a diagnoses is or isn't important. I was just simply trying to see what others have to say about their personal experiences. If that isn't on the cards, I'll guess I'll give my thread up to those that know so much more than I.

10. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    Thank you for your positive reply, Stumbo. I really do appreciate it!!!

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wow. I can't see how it's mean spirited- let alone "unmotivating"- to say to focus on the things that will really help him feel better, but fine.

12. What specifically about my personal experience would be of relevant interest to you?

13. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    How am I supposed to focus on anything when I don't even know or understand what is going on with me?

14. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    If you haven't had any experience with Asperger's, nothing. If you have, just what ever you have experience might help put some light on what it's like and help me understand it, no mater of I do have it or not. I am trying to learn about something. Like if I asked someone that has used Bartoloni soap bars what they thought of them, even though they may or may not be right for me or what I would end up with!

15. mykstar

mykstar

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm 28. My son is 4 and has autism. He doesn't/can't talk. He's allergic to milk (dairy), eggs, wheat, peanuts. He has a gag reflex, so he's still on Gerber 3rd foods and oatmeal. Wears diapers because he can't always control his pee/poop. Here's my point: Autism (and Aspergers) is a rough road to be on, both for the individual and anyone close to that individual. And no two individuals are the same. Similar, but never the same. You are not wrong for asking about it here, but you will definitely not find all the answers to such a huge subject at Talkbass. And I do not intend to make autism/Aspergers sound like the worse thing in the world. I love my son just the way he is (freakishly smart and clever) and I have no intentions to "cure" him because he is not ill. He is just different. Remember that, "different, not less."

16. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    As a teacher I had a kid with mild Asperger's. She was a good kid, but obviously struggled to fit in. She was EXTREMELY fortunate to have classmates who were extremely accepting and understanding. This was a freshman English class and a lot of the kids grew up with and attended elementary and middle school with her and understood her better than I did at first. They taught me a lot about how to work with her. I was very lucky in that regard. Unfortunately, my situation is far from the norm. This kid was DRIVEN to not let this limit her, but as you know, this is not possible. My most difficult thing to deal with was getting her to accept that mistakes are part of learning. It anything was not perfect she went on a tirade (directed at herself.) it took a lot of work to get her to understand that mistakes are a tool to make corrections in her learning. I wish you the best and never, ever let him forget you love and accept him just the way he is. Give him all the support you can and work closely with school staff and teachers. EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT THE SCHOOL SYSTEM AND 504!!!

17. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    Not autism, but I have some pretty crippling social anxiety disorder.

18. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Life experiences? How would you explain these tendencies when they started at an extremely early point in life? This isn't something that started during high school after some kids made fun of me or I couldn't get a date. It's not a matter of being prone to something I don't like and there are other traits that are directly related to AS symptoms.

I don't know if you ARE an expert or just want to act like one but the only responses that have been remotely mean-spirited came from you.

19. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    ok so i go to a therapeutic school and like half the people have it there its not a huge deal its just that the people who have it dont really understand how your supposed to act around people and cant understand peoples emotions.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I wasn't replying to you, so nothing I said applies to you.

Nothing was mean-spirited!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021