Anyone dealt with a Fender warranty?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I would like to hear any stories about guys who are waiting/have waited for warranty necks from Fender. I've been waiting since June '04 for a new neck for my Special Edition '70s Jazz (LPB w/ matching headstock, see my review).
    I talk to the repair dept. at Steve's Music here in Toronto occasionally (where the neck will be shipped), and they've been scratching their heads on this one. Why would representatives of Fender outright lie to a customer about their service? I don't get it. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I've called Fender directly on three or four occasions during this time and they come back with one of many excuses: "We shipped it to the wrong address", "It's shipping next week", "We shipped it out today". Does this ring a bell with anyone?
  2. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I have not dealt with a neck warranty issue, but I did have an issue with a pickup failure in my Geddy Lee bass. The neck pickup failed after about two months, and I waited and waited as Sam Ash ordered the replacement. I finally had them remove a neck pickup from a Geddy bass they had in stock so I could get my bass back. There's no telling how long they had to wait to get the replacement pickup........
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    When I had my neck replaced it was done immediately
  4. I had a unit in for paid repair at TC Electronic. The service manager outright repeatedly lied to me about the 'progress' of the repair. I eventually had their receptionist connect me with the service manager's superior who happened to be the president of TC Electronic/USA. The repair was done immediately.
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I had a neck replaced under warranty for my 2003 MIA Jazz, and it only took three weeks. I think this was largely because I bought it from a good mom & pop shop, which has won awards from Fender, and is hooked up with an excellent authorized Fender service center (Acme Guitar Works). I ended up with a more resonant neck too, so I have absolutely no complaints.
  6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Amen, for the Ma & Pa stores! I had a bad neck om a Stu Hamm Urge II. Fender did not have a replacement neck available so they swiched the whole bass out for a new Roscoe Beck 5, which was fine with me. The RB5 is a wonderful bass!
  7. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    yes, I had a bad piezo pickup on my acoustic bass. all I can say about Fender's warranty dept. is........WORST SERVICE EVER! flat out pitiful, the mom and pop shop I bought it from just ended up ordering a piezo from someone else and making everything right for me.

I contacted Fender and they said I would have to drive 3+ hours to the closest Fender authorized repair shop, and if I wanted to ship it I would have to be responsible for ALL shipping costs. Keep in mind I had this acoustic bass a total of about oh, 2 weeks.

I honestly don't think I'll ever buy another "new" Fender ever again.....
  8. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    I had a neck issue with one of my J Basses. I emailed Fender in the US.

They advised a new neck was no probs and offered to send me (from US to Australia) a stand-by neck in the meantime!!! By the way, it was out of its warranty period.

Arrangements were made with Fender Aust. Three weeks after sending the original email, my Bass was back home sporting highly flamed maple neck and headstock. That was several years ago now. I didn't even have to pay for sending my Bass down and back to Fender Aust!

Ostinato...I would send an Email to Fender (US) setting out the whole story and mark it for the direct attention of the CEO.
  9. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Jeeze, whats with all these neck problems? What's going wrong with all them?
  10. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    >>>Jeeze, whats with all these neck problems? What's going wrong with all them?

The Jazz I was talking about is a 62 Reissue (1998). It bowed and twisted. The Rose fret board had a sweeping grain it. The explanation I got was that its grain and the grain in the neck were opposing each other. The new neck is rock solid. When I got it back, I did a setup and it's stayed put ever since.

I also have J Deluxe (1997). Another bow. It was corrected with heat treatment.

In fact, nearly all Fenders I've had developed neck issues. I'd have to be the unluckiest guy in the world.

Both are ok now and keepers.

They're a great sounding Basses and I've found Fender backup to be good :)

Since then I've been tempted with other Fenders but keep thinking back to the past experiences :scowl:
  11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    That may be worth a try. :meh:

Luckily I bought this bass from a store that has a 100% upgrade policy, if you buy from them originally and the instrument's in good condition (which mine is). They've already agreed to take the bass as a trade-up, bad neck and all. So that's another option.
  12. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Fender treated me like royalty. Dave Mc Loughlin (Fender Aust) rang me on Saturday afternoons to give updates. When I got my Bass back, I found copies of the emails sent to the luthier from Fender US. I'm sure they weren't meant for me.

Stuff like:

"Ok' this guy has a prob...."

"Let's get a neck out there...."

Yadda yadda etc etc.

The prob with Fender is their outlets, not the company as such!

Once Fender (US) gets your email I truely think things will change dramatically. Be polite and set out the facts!
  13. My Geddy Lee is currently in awaiting a neck replacement. The neck bowed and warped due to a manufacturing defect and they have said that the neck will be replaced free of charge since the bass is under warranty.

I've been waiting for a few months for the neck now and the wonderful techs have contacted Fender several times awaiting news and have been given the run around. The bass is now out of warranty period and no sign of a neck yet.