Anyone dig Danzig???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by charles21o7, Nov 11, 2004.

1. I picked up the selftitled album and How the Gods Kill, pretty awesome stuff. The best part is the vocals, hes like an evil Elvis. Anyone else like this stuff??
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    His work the with Misfits is without equal. He made the band. I haven't heard that much of his other projects, only a couple of tracks from Danzig.
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    The first 3 albums are good but it's downhill from there. It just seemed like all the albums afterwards started sounding very stale because of Glenn's unique voice. The last album was horrible. I hate the Misfits but agree he did make that band.

I've always thought of him as the evil Jim Morrison.

4. I agree he does sound alot like Jim too, but I always thought Jim was already evil .........
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

HAHA!!! sooo true.

I've seen him a few times... live shows and in person. The best show was at the old Ritz with Carnivore (Pete Steele's old band) opening. I caught a more recent video and he seemed like a parody of himself (much like David Lee Roth).... maybe I just got old.
  6. BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    I love the misfits and some of the samhain stuff, and I always loved Danzig's voice, but Danzig 7 "Lucifuge" just plain sucked in my opinion.

Speaking of the misfits, the last time I got to see Jerry Only play, he ended the show by pulling all the strings clean off his bass one at a time. He also apparently pays a guy to run out on stage and wipe the sweat off his back while he plays. Now THAT'S rock n roll!
  7. LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
  8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I always dug Danzig too - if I had a metal band I'd want the guitar tone way more like John Christ than like, say, well, nearly any other metal guitar sound. The vocals can be good but can be overblown at times...

Glenn's a dick, sure, but he knows it and plays it up (anybody see his guest appearance on Aqua Teen Hunger Force?).
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Haha...can you imagine Danzig crooning "I'm just a gigolo and everywhere I go..."

brad cook
  10. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Yeah I'll have to agree. I really like his music in the Misfits and Danzig but it doesn't change the fact he is a dick. He was really funny on Aqua Teen.
    I once told some people that I thought he sounded like an evil Jim Morrison but they all looked at me like a psycho.
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

samhain !!! Rocked. I liked them better than the misfits!!
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nah...I get the feeling people look at you like that no matter what you say...has nothing to do with your statement.

brad cook
  13. I saw Danzig on their first tour- 88. I love the first two records, the third one- eh- the anything after the third- :spit: .

I kind of look at Danzig the band as Elvis fronting the Cult.

I kind of look at Danzig the man as the Ronnie James Dio of punk rock. (an evil little troll)

Chuck Biscuits rocks the drumset.
  14. I actually think Danzig 4 is pretty good too, but anything after that just isn't very good. I agree with an above poster that he's become a parody of himself. However, since the first poster says he got the self-titled and how the gods kill, i'd suggest he also get Lucifuge and 4. I hear the jim morrison thing, but mostly i consider him to be short-evil-Elvis. Maybe the king, when he died, went into his satanic body like in the Exorcist, and a legend was born.

And for the record, I think the Misfits were the best early-era punk band.
  15. He made a rocking cover of Trouble. Listen to it if you haven't already :)
  16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    His stuff's too cheesey for my tastes. I've always thought of him as a VERY bad cross between Jim Morrison and Ian Astbury.

He comes across as a Spinal Tap reject to me.