Anyone Dig Supertramp?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 4, 2006.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've always kinda liked these guys, but recently, I can't get enough of them. 'School' has to be one of my favourite songs, ever. With a killer bassline underneath the piano solo.

Unfortunatley, I only own two albums, 'Crime of the Century', and 'Breakfast In America'. I'm curious as to which album I should buy next...

Anyway, for any fans out there... Discuss!

EDIT: I don't know why that thumbs down picture is there.
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I was 12 when "Breakfast In America" (considered their best work by many people) was released. It was a very popular LP here but I didn't like it because it was so soft for my taste. At the time I was only into AC/DC, Kiss, disco and any energetic-sounding radio hit. Many, many years later I got a copy of "Paris" and I was really impressed. In fact, I still consider it one of the best live recordings ever made and still have Supertramp and Pink Floyd as the best live sounding bands. Still some of their hits sound silly to me ("Dreamer" comes to mind) but I highly respect them now anyways. Unfortunately, Roger Hodgson was the band's creative force (along with Rick Davies, of course) and I feel that the band lost its foundation when he left.

So go get "Paris" for an excellent live recording and a good documentation on the band's work up to "Breakfast In America".
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What the hell are kippers... and why are they for breakfast... and would a texan eat them?
  4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Because everyone's a millionaire.
  5. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    kippers are fish, smoked and come in a can I think, kinda like a sardine. I guess the English like to eat them for breakfast, like some people like to eat smoked salmon or lox.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Supertramp live in the UK just after "Crime of the Century" and they were very good - unfortunately averything I heard afterwards was very "drippy" and embarassingly lightweight. :meh:
  7. I used to have "Brother where you bound" it was good but I haven't listened to them in years!!!
  8. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Crime and Breakfast are my favourites and I'd probably get Even In The Quietest Moments next. Paris is great too.

Jellyfish had some Supertramp influences. Listen to "New Mistake" for example. They also played "The Logical Song" live.

They also were quite popular in France which shows in a work of Air, The Daft Punk and Phoenix.
  9. 4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I always like their tunes. Well, most of them. I'm suprised no one mentioned Cannonball. ;)
  10. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I was hopin' no one would. Bad tune, bad video.

Like Alvaro, I think their live album sounds dandy. Not as improv as I was hopin' tho. Been years since I listened to it.

My fave tune is Even in the Quietest Moments. Fool's Overture is a good tune also.