1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else? 5-string jazzes too big?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    All I want is a 5-string jazz with spacing more like an SR5 or an L2500. Apparently this is freaking impossible to find. :mad:

Either they're too wide at the bridge or nut, the necks are too chunky, or 35" scale - all of which are immediate dealbreakers. For me, even Fender jazzes are too big at the bridge.

Is there a jazz for me? Is there anyone else that faces the same predicament, having to ask what string spacing at the bridge is on every freaking bass you're interested in and being disappointed every time? :bawl:

1.75" / 17.5 mm crew 4 lyfe

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    What's wrong with the L2500? I'd get one of those. Or go custom; Stambaugh is affordable. Or you could get one that's right at the nut and then you could get an aftermarket bridge and adjust that to your liking.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I have an L2500. It is not the sound I am looking for we'll put it that way.

I also have a Stambaugh 5er on the way, and plan on getting at least 3 more...but I also want a 5-string jazz and hope that I would not have to resort to a full custom job.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Get one with a neck you like and replace the bridge that has variable string spacing. A neck you like and a body with the bridge you like and see if they can be fit together. A "Low-End" jazz bass would be awesome. :D Just some ideas.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Talk to Brian Barret. LowEnd Jazz basses have a hipshot A style bridge which allows for variable string spacing... not to mention LowEnd Jazz basses are just plain awesome

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    A variable spacing bridge isn't going to help much on a neck that was shaped for a 19mm spacing. Even if the spacing at the bridge is fixed the width in the upper area of the neck is still going to be too big.

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    While it's not exactly the "classic" jazz body, the Pedulla Rapture is a great J-style bass. You can get a fiver with 17.5mm spacing.

Cheers,
    Kevin

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    While it's not a typical J sound, The G&L L5000 has very tight string spacing. There was one on ebay this week...
    Otherwise, you might have something built by one of the many competent guys that hang out here.

9. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Jason, You might want to give a Pedulla Rapture 5 a try. From the parameters you describe, it might be right up your alley. The few I have tried had that Jazz vibe pretty much nailed. They were in a 34" package to boot. The spacing felt much more in line with a traditional jazz feel than even a Fender 5. If I remember correctly, Bass Player did a 5 string shootout some years back, and their conclusions werethe same. I believe it got a great score in almost all areas.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Sorry, I thought you were just talking about string spacing... i missed the chunky neck part..

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Have you tried the Sadowsky 5 string ? I do think the spacing is around 19 mm though.

12. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    The SX jazz 5 strings have a tight spacing.

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    A EBMM 5 has 18mm string spacing. So does a Ken Smith 5er. Get a Ken Smith BSR "J" Model or a KSD jazz.

14. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I have a LEJ on order with narrow string spacing!

do it...

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    lol that's exactly what I am complaining about! :rollno:

Everything ever read says that the Stingray 5 has 11/16" spacing at the bridge. Plus, it's 2 3/4" at the last fret vs. the 2.9" or so most jazz fivers have. Also KSD jazz 5ers are 35" scale.

So looks like my options are LEJ, Pedulla Rapture, or use my Stambaugh deposit for something with more of a jazz vibe. Anything else?

16. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    you are like me, I love narrow spacing!
    16.5-17mm
    most of my basses are 18 &19.
    and the transition is not the smoothest.
    I am streamlining my orperations here and getting all narrow spacing basses from now on!

Call brian about a LEJ and tell him its todds fault.;)

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Seriously dude. I've been playing bass since I was in 5th grade, have small hands, fractured my wrist once, have a history of CTS in my family, and I've had nothing but computer related jobs since I got out of high school.

So it's not just a "comfort" thing for me. If I play an entire show on anything bigger than my G&L, my wrists lock up, I start losing feeling in my fingers, and I have pain until the middle of the next DAY.

Synopsis: I am a wuss and a crybaby.

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I have a 5 string J Bass made by Pat Wilkins

It has a 34"scale and the string spacing is 17mm (but he will make a Bass with 17.5 mm if you prefer) and the neck is not chunky.

http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/guitars.html

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd bet Nino Valenti could make you one pretty much any way you'd want it, assuming he could find the right pickups, which shouldn't be too big of a problem.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    My Wilkins has 3 Dimarzio ultra J's and a custom Audere preamp.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021