Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else a board game geek? (i.e. Risk)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 22, 2004.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm posting at 2:40 AM because I just got home from a two-hour Risk game. A Risk variant, no less. (I love Christmas break!)

Anyone else enjoy nerdy board games? Settlers of Catan? Axis and Allies? I know you're out there. We're a pretty geeky bunch here. Collectively, my friends and I have every version of Risk except for Castle Risk, which was discontinued - four out of five ain't bad. (And I've been watching the eBay...)

2. I play Risk a lot. I have two versions of it...the normal one, and the Lord of the Rings Edition, which is nice to play once in a while to use a different map setup. I also use to play Axis and Allies a lot in High School. You get the right people playing that game, and games will last for months. We had one that took almost all of summer vacation, and we pretty much played non-stop.

3. finally got cable modem and i'm trashed. thought i'd at leqsdt say hi!! but i'm where you are. we play yahtzee here... $5 a hand, 8 people minimum. money adds up after a while, and it's fun too. if you get a zero you shotgun a beer. if not we play Stratego the wrong way.. the flag MUST be captured or you shotgun a beert. fiurst post after 1:30 am for me!!!

4. Risk is nothing, try playing Diplomacy. It's like Risk, but will cause you to lose friends.

It's set in WWI era Europe. It is similar to risk only in the way it looks and the goal of "kill all of the other colored horse things."

No dice, no chance involved. Only one unit per area. The only way to move into a territory is by getting support from an adjacent territory. Thing is, you can get support from ANYONE that is playing. That is why it is called Diplomacy, you make alliances and break them. All orders are placed in a box and revealed at the same time. People get pretty mad when you tell them "I promise I will not move in to Turkey so long as you support my move into Denmark," and then kick their asses out of Constantnopil. Or however you spell that.

Good fun. Check it out, I don't play it online, but this has some info on it: http://www.diplom.org/DipPouch/Welcome.html

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i HATE risk!!!
    it makes my friends in to boring hermits.

"what's a good thing to play for 4 hours after coming home from clubbing...i know!! the most boring game in the whole world"

and they get really mad when i interfere :(
    by bringing in the newly invented atomic bomb and throwing all the little cannon things on the floor.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd play board games more often, but I don't have any friends to play them with. So I just play Scrabble online with Wrong Robot instead.

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    At least they aren't playing Monotony, or Pure Cheesy or Misery Date. :D

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I used to be big into Axis & Allies. We even added 6 more technological accomplishments because the original 6 are only so much fun. Besides, what's WWII without atomic bombs?

I don't have 3 months (and an extra table) to play anymore so nowadays I stick to video games and the occasional chess match.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I love chess. When I play chess, I don't feel like quite the nerd I do when I start rolling some dice to see what happens when my Cave Troll attacks Helm's Deep. :D

10. I love Axis and Allies. It's a great game. I found that if you play England, your best bet for survival is to relocate to South Africa, and attack from the Middle East. Otherwise, you just get hammered by German bombers. And unlike the real thing, you can't hide in a subway.

Rock on
    Eric

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i suppose so!

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Basically.

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    At the summer camp I went to, Risk was the hot thing, there were lines of people waiting to get in on the next match. The average Risk game lasted about 2 hours (at the least), and Risk game we had was (roughly) a hundred years old and most of the figures were missing or broken, so needless to say, it was pretty absurd. There was one kid who always won at Risk, he was almost beaten several times, but he quit before he lost :rollno: .

I played Diplomacy once, it's hard to tell which is worse for friendships, that or Monopoly. Monopoly is the ultimate cabin fever game, after about an hour or so of that, everyone's either bored, or angry at each other for one reason or another, then someone rolls the dice and accidentally knocks over everyone's hotels and houses and game pieces. Then the game descends into fisticuffs. Seeing as Diplomacy has no dice, I'd say Monopoly is worse.

Speaking of which, has anyone actually FINISHED a game of Monopoly? Ever? In the World?

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I like Settlers of Catan a lot. I just thought I'd give it some love since no one else here did. :(

But I enjoy almost all forms of geeky gaming. Pen and paper PRGs? Check. Miniatures wargames? Check. Collectable Card Games? Check.

If it's got dice to roll, cards to flip, or detailed strategy, I've probably got it under my bed somewhere.

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i would bully you if we were 11.

what the hell....you geek! *steals lunch*

16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I never got the chance to play Settlers of Catan, but I was definately all about RPGs and all the rest of the geeky gaming smorgasbord.

AD&D
    Shadowrun
    Call of Cthulhu
    Warhammer
    Warhammer 40K
    Battletech
    Star Wars CCG

Those were the good old days.

17. I own some Warhammer 40K Space Marines. Never actually played an actual game though...too expensive to keep up with, plus I hate painting.

Risk is fun to play with alot of friends, but its always me and my drummer. Just two people are never fun.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey man, SoC was mentioned in the first post. :D Speaking of card games, I think it's time to eBay all those Magic cards I have...

19. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'd believe it...Especially considering this was me up until after high school:

[​IMG]

And Superduck, I meant no one since you replied with love for SoC. :p

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like to play board games. Risk is probably my favorite. I don't own the board game anymore but I do have it on CD ROM, so I play that quite a bit.

Other board games I like are Monopoly, Life, Stratego and Ultimatum. (Last 2 are some old ones)