Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else a Defunkt fan?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BASSethound, Mar 27, 2002.

1. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I must say that Ms. Kim Clarke is one of the best funk players around. Man is she underrated.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I only saw them live when she had already left, and even that was more than almost 10 years ago.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Count me in:) I'm a big Kim Clarke fan!

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    oh ya

Kim Clarke HUGE influence;) the in america album (vinal) was on my stereo for 2 months strait when i was 17. what a rhythm setion .

Any one ever hear her play upright? I havent im very curious

AJ

5. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I just got the Thermonuclear Sweat album from ebay. I used to have it taped about 5 years ago and finally have my own copy. Amazing, I am glad other people actually know who she is! She has a website and a world/fusion project too.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There was a really good 2-page interview in a German guitar and bass mag (Gitarre & Bass) some months back.

She plays an Elrick fivestring right now IIRC.

7. Used to dig Defunkt bigtime. Melvin Gibbs was great...Kim great...Joe Bowie started to wear on me after a while. That whole NY black rock coalition stuff is so cool..Vernon reid, Decoding society...Knitting factory. Anyone heard that Antonio Tims and his Flying tigers cassette? I think it was on Roir with Melvin on bass...hilarious but cool. I loved defunkts cover of the Ojay's "Money"....!