1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else addicted to compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cjac9, Mar 19, 2010.

1. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I have left my compressor on for all gigs for a year and half. Help!

2. davkane

davkane Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    Its a normal thing, I have had compression in my life for over 20 years. Do not "need" to have, but really enjoy it. Think about it like medical pot, some people need it for their health, some just like it, some have tried in once, and other never have or will try it.

Not time for a 12 step program just yet.

3. I played without my compression pedal today and man...for once I really felt like I needed compression. I love how it balances my overall tone. I've been trying to convince myself not to sell it and fund for another dirt pedal.

4. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I’m not a big fan. I find that it levels out my volume across everything I play which I guess is kinda the point. So as a player who puts a lot of emphasis on my timbre, it’s not for me. Although on the other hand for someone who has an issue with staying level in the mix it’s great I’ll always have one around for the recording of others cause you never know when it may come in handy.

5. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I LOOOVE how I stay in my spot in the mix. I don't want to be anywhere else, but should I be able to do that w/o it?

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While that "can be" the point, what you've described there is really overcompression, which is not good unless used intentionally as an effect. A properly-set-up compressor should usually/generally be very subtle, not totally flattening out your levels.

Oh BTW I'm not addicted. I can stop any time.

7. SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Not necessarily, it’s just two different ways of achieving the seemingly same results. In fact if anything compression is going to be more accurate. Whether or not anyone could tell a difference is subjective. I think for me it’s just that I have spent so many years focused on technic and never using one. So when I finally did try one I didn’t see a point in using it further. I would say a couple more reasons for it is that I play a lot solo stuff where it is important to very my levels through my attack, finger to string. Also on top of that I sometimes will play a piece with a band where for the most part I’ll keep to the pocket and at some point I’ll jump to the front and solo a little and I like to be able to create that change with my fingers rather that a pedal.

8. SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Ok I think I would have to agree with you on that. I guess what I was trying to say maybe could have been worded a little more accurately. So to reiterate, I just don’t want anything limiting my range is all.

9. COMPRESSION CAN BE OVERDONE

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Man, that's just wrong.:atoz: (The picture, not the statement)

I've been addicted to compression for a while now, I started using one to even out the dynamic range between the strings, there's a lot more energy coming off a b string than a high c due to the greater mass. As time went on I started to squash it more and more.

Lately I've been slowly backing it off a bit so that I have more control over the dynamics with my touch. I wouldn't say I'm weaning myself off of it, just trying to cut down. I really like what it does for the attack and the tone, but it can be too much for certain situations.

11. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    The Compressore should be here by Monday! I can't wait, wish I had the weekend to mess with it, patience patience...

12. I never played with a compressor for years, and then I had an LMB-3 for a bit, which I just used to tame volume spikes caused by other effects. But then this winter I got a compressor to use mostly as an effect here and there. Well here and there has basically turned into every damn song. I absolutely love the sustain, the punch, and the singing highs its giving me. Yeah, addicted is probably about right.

13. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I still don't understand how a compressor would do this without cranking it way up. I have found that I need a much lighter setting for my fretless acoustic than for my fretted but that's about very subtle dynamics and string noise. For me, the compressor adds to a certain punch and focus giving my signal a little more rubberyness. It's a happy feeling.
    Yes, I'm an addict.

14. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    I've left the Compressor and the Sonic Stomp on for almost 2 years now. You just can't beat it for punch when you drop into those big, BIG Moments of a tune. If it works for you and your situation then roll with it.

15. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm an addict too. I always play with a compressor on. I have a great rack compressor but I phased it out... for a pedal (smaller off course, lighter.)

I'm playing through a BOSS CS-3 (stock) for the time being. Despite bongo's review I for one am very satisfied with a stock CS-3.
    Off course I suspect it won't be the last compressor I'll ever own. GAS is always lurking.

And I really don't understand the "limiting my range and dynamics" comments.
    By that logic playing through an all-tube amp, or having an overdrive or preamp constantly on (like VT Bass or BDDI) for mild drive is also limiting your range and dynamics.
    Or simply owning a cab without tweeters is in fact limiting your range.
    Not want to stir something up. :) Just think about it.

Nothing wrong with mild overdrive as an effect or all-tube amps. I like some of em too.
    And I don't like tweeters either.

As long as you get the job done. Either it is with or without a compressor, with or without a tube amp, with or without some kind of pedal,...

Different strokes for different folks.

16. in the studio always, live not so much. it's cool when I play w/ a pick, but generally I don't care if I have it or not . . . I rarely bring it out w/ me anymore

17. Looks like the way an effect sounds is pretty much in the ears of the beholder.

I wanted to get an OC-3, then I saw people bash the pulp out of it regarding tracking issues and what not. By sheer contrast, it got lots of love on a recent thread.

Then again I loved the idea of owning something like a (stock) CS-3 but Bongo's reviews convinced me against getting it. Now I'm perplexed.

NB: I can't get a modded CS-3 where I come from, I could try modding it myself but I'm not really confident enough to try it out.

18. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Very true, always! My reviews are just one man's ears... beholding... :p

19. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Don't get me wrong, I love my CS-3 but I realize it's not the best compressor out there.
    And bongo is probably right about everything in his review.

For me it does the job just fine, it delivers the sound I go for.
    Yup, the is some low-end rolloff... you know what, that fine by me. :)
    I'm a growler, not a boomer. :ninja:

Same about the OC-3. A lot of people bash that pedal, even I don't like it.
    That is to say, it didn't was what I desired. And I am a bit prejudice because IMO there are several pedals that are just a little bit better.
    That is no grounds for calling the OC-3 a bad pedal.
    If it works for you all the better.
    If you become the next Chancellor or Wholstenblah-blah... in 10 years time the dudes around here will pay 800$ for a (by then) discontinued OC-3. :)

20. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    My optostomp compressor doesn't seem to do anything, except add some brightness when I have it plugged in to my B-25, but I got it so that my DI sound has close to the same compression as the amp. It seems to me that it's more one of those "feel" things. The audience doesn't notice it one bit, but the strings kind of feel different with it on. Does anyone else have this experience, or am I smoking too much?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020