1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else deal with a little fret buzz in favor of low action?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by u84six, Oct 15, 2013.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    TIs on my 5 string P have a bit of fret buzz because I like low action and also because of their low tension. I lowered my fretboard and raised the saddles a bit, but can never deal with so much distance from the fretboard as it affects my playing style. So when I lower the action to where I like it, most of the strings have a little fret buzz when played on different frets. Am I alone with this kind of setup, or is it fairly common? Just never really asked other bass players this question. : )

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Sometimes yes sometimes no. I don't need low action but sometimes I actually like the buzzy sound. Depends on the track/tune/my mood. That faux sitar sound is cool for some things, annoying as heck for others.

3. .
    Fret buzz is often lost in the mix and not much of an issue.
    Depending on the style/volume of the music of course.

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    fret buzz is known as sizzle at my house!;)

yeah, i love low action and the buzz is worth it. i can EQ enough to mask it, so no worries.

5. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Me. I need crazy low action. This can cause a little buzz if I'm not careful with my technique. Definitely doesn't come thru the amp or foh house however.

6. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I think hitting the frets will shorten the sustain a bit. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on the style you play.

7. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    I can't say that I deal with it so much as I actually prefer it. I like some buzz/grind/fur whatever you call it as long as it doesn't choke the notes out.

8. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US

I've always used low action with buzz because it works well with my playing style (more pop when I dig in, better slide effect, etc). I was just curious if others play this way because I really never gave it too much thought until now. And i've been playing for 35 years. ;)

9. Jungy

Jungy

Jun 9, 2011
    Oz
    I have low action too but only get buzz playing fast with a pick and buzz tends to suit those songs anyway; if you can hear it in the mix that is.
    My finger style is pretty light touch these days and foam or palm muted with a pick won't buzz either.
    So all good from my end.
    Mind you I have taken TI's off my L2000 because of a high 7th fret on the A string which the buzzing on the D & D# on that string made it sound a lot weaker output and less bottom end.

10. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Sure you don't need a fret level?

11. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Nah, I've been setting up guitars and basses for years. I get perfect intonation and perfect volume balance on all of my instruments. The only one I have problems with is my RIC, which are known for this type of stuff. But even that bass is set up pretty well.

I just like my action really low (i.e. much lower than what the manufacturer recommends) so it's a trade off for a bit of fret buzz. On the other hand, some really high quality basses can handle really low action without any fret buzz at all. But I don't own any of those high priced instruments. :)

12. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    A setup is not a fret level.

If "are known for this type of stuff" is good enough an explanation then fine. Also, weren't you talking about a P5?

13. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Yes, a brand spankin' new P 5. No need for a fret level.

14. Being new excludes it from needing the frets leveled?

15. I would also suggest a fret level, especially as you said it is just on some frets. That would suggest that they are not all level.

I do like a bit of fret buzz and like my action really low, but I mainly get the buzz either on most frets or if I dig in, not just certain frets. Also, I am guessing you've checked the straightness of the neck? I'm sure you have

16. The first bass I ever had was an affinity P and it buzzed and I hated it. I have never, never been fond of the sound of fret buzz. Thankfully on both of my basses I can get the action appreciably low without buzzing (stingray and Rick). When people play a bass that buzzes, I can usually hear it even through the mix

17. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Get a nice US Lakie and you will get the low action without the fret buzz.....particularly if it is set up by Carl Pedigo....he is the king if low action...

18. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    This is getting ridiculous. See ya.

19. You lowered your fretboard???

20. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    OP says he's getting fretbuzz all around the strings, so why would be need the frets leveled? That's natural for low action. If he's getting one or two nasty buzzy frets, that's a different story.