Anyone else dig the bass on "First we take Manhattan" by Leonard Cohen?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Aug 8, 2003.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I really like the main riff, and the way he locks with the keyboard player in the "I really like to..." really gets my booty going! Does anyone happen to know who played bass on this song, and what other artist he/she performed with? Thanks in advance.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I could never get into that album after listening to it multiple times. I'd say I could never get into Cohen but then again that's the only album of his that I've heard.

brad cook
  3. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

There's a really good reason to dig the Jennifer Warnes cover of "First We Take Manhattan", the album was produced by, and most, if not all of the bass parts were done by Roscoe Beck.
    Thought SMASH would have known that.....:D
    It's a great record, the album is called "Famous Blue Raincoat" and it's a collection of Leonard Cohen covers, there is some AMAZING playing on it, Stevie Ray Vaughn plays guitar on "First we take Manhattan" too.
  4. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

He produced the Jennifer Warnes album "Famous Blue Raincoat".

Jennifer Warnes, 1986

1. First we take Manhattan 3:44
    2. Bird on a wire 4:42
    3. Famous blue raincoat 5:33
    4. Joan of Arc (with guest vocal by Leonard) 7:47
    5. Ain’t no cure for love 3:19
    6. Coming back to you 3:42
    7. Song of Bernadette 3:58
    8. A singer must die 4:50
    9. Came so far for beauty 3:57

Total time: 41:37. Produced by C. Roscoe Beck and Jennifer Warnes.
    The album was issued in 1986 by Cypress Records, California.
    here's a little more info on the record:

"In late 1986, Cohen achieved a new dimension of fame when Jennifer Warnes released her cover album Famous Blue Raincoat. Cohen and Warnes had, of course, known each other for years. Singing on 1972 and 1979 tours, she had become one of his principal backup singers, adding a lilting voice to offset his gravely croak. When she decided to record her cover album, she chose arrangements that feature the upbeat sound of contemporary music and invited Cohen to sing on "Joan of Arc", which they recorded in March 1986 at The Complex in Los Angeles. To assist Warnes in producing the album, Cohen moved back to Los Angeles for four months and reworked several songs. He also aided in the making of the video for "First We Take Manhattan..."

Critical acclaim and commercial gain greeted the release of Famous Blue Raincoat, which thrust Cohen into musical spotlight again. The album reached number eight in England, and went gold in Canada. Worldwide, the album sold over 750.000 copies and was largely responsible for reintroducing Cohen to North American audiences."
    It's worth a listen for sure........