Anyone else dig the cheapies???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dude, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I hear Fodera this, Elrick that...blah, blah, blah...anyone over here still dig a funky Hondo or Tokai???
  2. ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I once wondered into a local music shop had a quick look around and was about to walk out when the guy there handed me a Tokai jazz bass copy- I nearly started to laugh as I only played quality basses with high price tags.... but I sat down with it and didn't want to put it down- probably the best jazz bass Ive ever played and it sounded great!! Kicked the arse out of most fenders. All for £250 but I was so unbelieveably skint and couldn't even visa it and came back in a few weeks and it was gone. gutted.....
  3. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I sure as hell do, but only until I can actually afford a high end bass. I plan to instantaneously become an elitist bass snob the minute I get my hands on anything that lists for over three grand. ;):D

My Peavey Milestone get's more play time than my Carvin or Dean. I think that qualifies as a cheapy, got it for under $200.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a really cool '64 Harmony Rocket bass with the stealth pickguard.

And it's a single cut!!!

I'd be willing to bet that it's got the original Rotosound flats on it.

So count me in as a "cheapie lover";)
  5. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    I love my epiphone power bass. I think it has a really unique voice, especially with my flats. Cost 150 new at Mars.

Really, how can anyone actually spend over a thousand? I'm sure high end basses to sound a bit better, but can anyone hear it when you play live?

I would like a fender 62 p-bass, but that is mainly because of looks and nostalgic value.
    My epiphone kills in terms of tone.
  6. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Jerry, do have a picture of that bass?
  7. Encore P copy....first bass ...about £100. Of course , It's now got a rock maple neck , ebony fingerboard and a Rave Labs active retrofit.......
  8. I gots a chepay!

I've modded it a bit - new scratchplate, and a mexican bridge.. after lowering the action, it's not so bad now.. New pups and it'll own! :D

It sounds ok, through a good amp, otherwise it's ok through mine. I can live with it - Fender will be on the way soon.... :)
  9. Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    I've got an Aria pro2 slb-2a, its active, I have had for about 6/7 years its great, I'm always keeping my eye out for Lefties but theey are hard to come by. I would love something different to play but being a skint south paw leaves me little options.
  10. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I have a pair of 70's Ibanez P bass and J bass copies.

These two can hold their own against the Fender originals.
  11. Best sounding Ric I ever played was my old Ibanez Copy.
  12. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    $100 yamaha BB200 and Cort headless still float my boat.
  13. i have a Kay eb3 copy with microphonic pickups that i love..Also i own a '65 Egmond "Typhoon" which rules! Yep..Count me among the cheapie fans..
  14. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I still do most of my practices on my Squier P Bass

15. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Sorry to smash a whole in the topics cheerful spirit, but in general the dirt cheap ones arent any good in my view and are horrible to play. This is mostly based on the fact that most cheapies = jazz style = 21 frets which i dislike greatly.

However, I have a bass collection that cost me £180 which I do still play, in my opinion a very good bass for it's quality:price ratio.
  16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I love my Squire P-Special. Nice P/J configuration, decent Jazz neck and sounds pretty much like a MIM Fender. Just debating on whether or not to put TI's on it.

17. I have a Hondo Flash that i will never sell.

31 frets, no head, hardly any body, and no weight either! :D
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I try and get a photo of the bass up soon.

I made a mistake about the strings. They have to be Black Diamonds.
  20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Those old Cort headless basses were great! I'm still watching for an active model on ebay.
    One of the best cheapo's ever!