1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else dislike the Stingray's thick necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I love the sound and feel of the basses, but the dealbreaker for me is the neck. It's a lot chunkier than what I'm used to playing. How can people manage? I play with my thumb resting in the middle of the back of the neck, and it cramps instantly. I've heard a rumor that the 90s Rays had thin necks, maybe I'll look into this.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I love them. Very close to a P bass.
    A real man size neck. I hate toothpicks.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Check out a Stingray Slo. Stingray body and electronics, Sterling neck.

How can people manage? Just fine. I prefer an even chunkier neck actually. My Yamaha ATT-LTD II's neck is a huge baseball bat, but it's also one of the slickest and fastest necks I've ever played.

I've got a new neck coming to me that is almost 1" thick at the 12th fret.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I really dislike fat wide chunky necks, but I've never had problem with Musicman necks or profiles.

5. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Huh, I checked it out, and they're pretty darn expensive. I'm thinking Ray34 + Warmoth might be the best route.

6. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    +1 I can't stand tiny necks.

7. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Why not? Do you wrap your thumb around guitar style when you play? That's the only way I can work a chunky neck.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You're not going to get a Warmoth neck that fits the 6 bolt neck pocket.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't like 'em, so I sold mine.

10. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Oh. :(

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You might be able to get a different custom maker to do it though, like USA Custom Guitars. They're about the same price and depending on who you ask, a better product.

Unfortunately Warmoth doesn't like to deviate from their standard designs. It's understandable, since they have to charge more money and it would take forever to get things done having to make tons of custom options for customers.

12. Kurtmon

Kurtmon

Dec 1, 2005
    I recently picked up a Sterling,,,best neck I have ever played...

13. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    The sterlings have "jazz" style necks that are thinner then standard.

14. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I loved Stingrays so much that I have bought one 3 different times. I just can't work with their neck. It's too thick for my hands. Always had to sell them right back again. It would have to be a Sterling for me apparently.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I never really found them to be "very" chunky by any means. Pretty P-bass like. If you "need" a thinner neck, look at the SLO Specials or Sterlings.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Some P bass necks feel - really feel - like baseball bats. Never found that to be the case with Stingrays.

But yeah, the SLO Special for those who like Stingrays but prefer slimmer necks. That's the easy answer.

17. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    I like thick necks like what's on my old Ventura, but I like thin necks too like my Geddy Lee. Stingray 4 necks feel great to me but the Stingray 5 neck just felt wrong to me, just didn't feel right.

18. I have played P's for 39 years now, love 'em. Really didn't like any of the Stingrays I've played. A 2 x 4 comes to mind when I recall them.

19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Thin necks give me cramps at the base of my thumb. I love the neck on my S.U.B

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have small hands and have no problem with Stingray necks. I also play Jazz and P basses, the SR is definitely more P like.

In any case, I used to play 6 string Roscoe and MTD basses.... Fretboard was big enough to land a 747 on... No problem with those either.