Anyone else do this? (Slap related)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 16, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    When I practice, about half of the time is devoted to slapping, but when I get out and jam with friends or record music, I find that I do a couple of pops in a three-hour session. Slapping is a lot of fun, but I just can't put it a song when it doesn't seem to belong. Anyone else do this, or spend a lot of time practicing what they don't play with others?
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i do the same thing, more with two-hand tapping though. i'll practice tapping by myself for hours, and I used to be in a band that used it for 10 seconds, now i don't use it for a band at all. Now all it does is annoy my band members if i break it out during practice.

I figure that i do it because I like it... not because i'm preparing for some big tapfest or something. If i enjoy tapping by myself for a few hours, that's a few hours well spent.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm guilty of both slapping and tapping. i've been learning arpeggio sweeps and nitti style tremolo picking, too. the band i play in pretty much calls for straight ahead 8th notes for the most part, with some pretty cool fingerstyle licks here and there. nothing elaborate, but different techniques keep me interested.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I practice alot of fun techniques on my own....techniques my band never sees(unless I'm tired and don't feel like soloing but they tell me to, so I start just playing random notes using random techniques)

I have played songs with a good portion of slap in them...but most songs might have like a slap line at the bridge, and finger picking the rest...I'm going to perform "can't hold no groove" at my school soon....and that is all slap :)
  5. I find the same problem. I slap all the time at home, but when I'm jamming with the band I cna't fit it in. And when I do try it, it can't cut through the mix. It can't barely be heard and it doesn't stand out.:(
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, I've always believed that the sound always comes down to the player, but slap seems to be an exception where you truly do need the "right" gear to sound good. Not saying your gear sucks, it's just that you have to have a pro setup to sound good with slap. (That's why I never play slap in a band situation, the only way it sounds decent with my amp is at a low volume, cause when I turn it up it's all mud and clipping distortion :( I can't wait to get a new rig so I can put some slap riffs in some songs)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with having chops that you don't use when gigging or recording.
  8. I have a similar problem to others mentioned, but it's far worse. The thing is, I love to slap. I cannot hold a bass for five minutes without slapping. It doesn't matter if it fits the song or not. If it's the right note (or wrong for that matter), I want to slap that note. It's a horrible compulsion that I can't get around. At least I don't usually play with anyone else; I just sit around and practice a little. When I picked up the mandolin to learn how to play it, I started slapping that too. IT SOUNDS AWFUL! Ever since seeing Reggi Wooten's guitar students have a thump-off on guitar, I've been trying to figure out how to make my Takamine get good slap tone; it just doesn't work. Worst of all... I TRIED SLAP ON A KEYBOARD!!!! I'm just a pathetic, compulsive slapper. But hey, at least it's fun.