1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else downgrading/simplifying their effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wdinc01, May 8, 2010.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I haven't done it yet, but my plans for the summer is to get my EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai fixed, and then sell it. I then plan on using the money to get a tuner and a DD-3.

I've realized that I really don't need much, if any delay. It's certainly useful to have, but only a little bit. I think the reason I got the Hazarai was more for the looping, and I now have a Boomerang 3 (which is AWESOME), so I have a dedicated/more advance looper. And really, I plan on using the DD-3 for the hold mode, because it's just a lot easier to get that choppy effect.

Anyone else planning, or currently in the process of selling one effect that they realize is just overkill or too much, and going the simpler route? I don't mean downsizing your pedal board, although that may be a by-product.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh sure, and then it goes the other direction for a while, then back again. Ebb and flow.

3. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    I'd keep them....a large collection makes sense. A broad palette and a huge amount of restraint in using it makes effects pedals a great thing. Tony Levin comes to mind here.

4. "Effects" is not my playing style. I use them with Line6 Bass pod XTlive but I'm not sure if the audience notices.
    Sometimes I leave the lot at home.

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
  6. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Same here. I'm currently in the small pedal board and use the M13 for anything crazy phase. Oh, and I want to downsize the M13 to an M9 if that counts too.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Lately everything I have been getting is big and complicated....:D

8. Always. Never. Always. Never. Always. Never. Always. Never. Always. Never.

Goes like that a lot.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've gone from smallish to huge, and back again. Finally settled with a PT-2, and feel the medium-nish size is perfect, except for when I wish it was bigger. Hopeless cause.

10. I've got a DD3 waiting to be sold to you.

11. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yup. It's difficult, but not because I hold any sort of sentimental attachment to all of my pedals - those special few are staying forever - but because the pedals I do want to get rid of are fairly common, and hold no value on the trade market. I somehow doubt any of the three black Russian EHX pedals are worth a Morley PWB.

12. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I don't really use effects. I have a guitar distortion but that's only really for fooling around at home when I wish I was Cliff Burton. Haha. During recording all effects are put on afterwards and generally by the guy recording, not me. So I keep it to a minimum. No effects for me.

13. I don't use effects at all. The only time I used to use an effect was a Big Muff distortion pedal for a couple of songs in my former band. Every now and then I'll take it out and fool with it at home.

14. I am down to an autowah, a octave pedal and a sansamp programmable box that I use for a bit of boost and color sometimes. I have a synth pedal on my board but it is coming off. This is a huge de-escalation of what I used to have.

15. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    While I agree that having a large collection of pedals is a great idea (if that's your playing style, which it is for me), I just don't have the space or the money for such a thing at this point in my life. The way I figure it, I should just keep it to what I really plan on using. I've figured it down to five or six pedals, and while I try to convince myself that it would be cool to have something else, I just can't really justify it.

16. MaxMaps

MaxMaps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    True words were never spoken.

It is a battle back and forth. Some days I want to sell all of my effects and others I want to hopelessly go for a mega board only to no touch it for months at a time.

Its a damn addicting sickness =/

17. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I just "finished" my board and I already want to add a MicroPOG to it somehow. Lord help me if I find the room on my PT-Jr :scowl:

18. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Very true for most of us I think. I'm in the process of upgrading most of my boxes and reducing redundancy on the board. In a sense I'm doing the same thing as the OP because I'm figuring out exactly what I want from my board and making adjustments accordingly.

19. Bish42

Bish42

Dec 26, 2001
    England
    Yep. This is my current mini-board. There's so many advantages to having a small board, that I wonder if I'll ever go back to a big one. The weight and size thing alone sells it for me. I do miss my micro-synth, sometimes it's nice to make sacrifice though.

pedal_smallboard.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm constantly trying to simply the tapdancing aspect of my board. Unfortunately, that means constantly getting more big and complex pedals...