1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else find StingRays to be VERY picky about their setup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Aug 6, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Has anyone else ever noticed that StingRays seem to be more picky about their setup than other basses? What I mean by this is that in order to achieve that classic, bright, and burpy StingRay snarl you have to setup the bass almost completely to EBMM specs. Any major variance from their stock setting and suddenly their sheen and growl goes away almost completely. I thought I was kind of nuts thinking this at first, but after owning 7-8 different Rays I can say that this definitely seems common place. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this about StingRays or any other basses out there. Do you find that a proper setup can make the difference between a bass sounding either amazing or just okay?

2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    A proper setup is indeed critical for getting the most out of a Stingray, and almost all other basses too, IMHO.
    I run D'Addario Prosteels (40 - 100 gauge) on all of my basses except for my Stingray - it prefers Ernie Ball nickles, 45 - 105 gauge, and it likes fresh batteries in the pre, so I change the battery about every 4 months.
    I think my most finicky bass (regarding setups) is my Ric 4001. I struggled for years trying to cop the Geddy Lee/Chris Squire tone, and once I discovered the Prosteels, adjusted the pickups to a very particular height & installed a Hipshot bridge, the bass came to life.
    My Spectors, with their EMG pups & active electronics are less picky about strings, but pickup height is once again critical for getting the famous Spector snarl & growl out of them.

3. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Yes I agree, I feel it's down to the jumbo frets needing highly detailed maintenance in order to get the rest of the set up dialled in properly. When it all comes together... Magic!