Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else find this annoying?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vbass, May 12, 2004.

1. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum....

Although I'm already in a band I frequently will look at the musicians wanted/available section of local websites. It seems to be an increasing occurence to see:
    Bassist wanted, 5 string required/preferred.

5 string required?! I didn't know that my skill level is directly proportionate to the number of strings on my bass. And if that's the case, why are there so many crappy guitarists?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I think the recent drop D guitar tuning fad has contributed to this. Why, I don't know. I've had a couple people say, "Do you have a fiver?, cuz we play drop D."

3. For the look/sound/image? I don't know.

I have 2 5 string basses and some people want me to pull out a 4 string Fender to get the gig.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    This is why i'm not a fan of joining other bands, a lot of other people seem too concerned with going by a formula other then just jamming out and having fun.

5. I dont know about everywhere else, but around here you could have only the first 2 strings left on an old beater bass and a small combo amp and find gigs...hahaha. But I have seen some of the ads you speak of....and I do prefer to use a five for drop tunings, but I mainly stick to my 4 for everything else. I dont like tuning it down, it screws my setup and muddies my tone..but I have gotten away with playing higher up the scale as a compromise. Especially if we only do one or two drop tuned songs.

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe it's just the area I live in? I don't know, it's a major pet peeve of mine I guess. I just don't see why it would matter...

I play in both Drop D and Drop C in my current band and use a different 4 string for both. :bassist:

7. most drop d songs i play are really hard to play without an open d so a 5 string would just cripple my playing by making me jump strings all over the place.

8. I only play 4's, because I only have 4's.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've been seeing alot of this lately, too. I think it's ok, because usually the people writing the posts are not bassists. I forgive them, for they know not what they do.

I tune CGDA, which usually screws them up when I arrive for the audition anyway. :D