Anyone else find this annoying?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vbass, May 12, 2004.

1. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum....

Although I'm already in a band I frequently will look at the musicians wanted/available section of local websites. It seems to be an increasing occurence to see:
    Bassist wanted, 5 string required/preferred.

5 string required?! I didn't know that my skill level is directly proportionate to the number of strings on my bass. And if that's the case, why are there so many crappy guitarists?

2. I think the recent drop D guitar tuning fad has contributed to this. Why, I don't know. I've had a couple people say, "Do you have a fiver?, cuz we play drop D."

3. For the look/sound/image? I don't know.

I have 2 5 string basses and some people want me to pull out a 4 string Fender to get the gig.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    This is why i'm not a fan of joining other bands, a lot of other people seem too concerned with going by a formula other then just jamming out and having fun.

5. I dont know about everywhere else, but around here you could have only the first 2 strings left on an old beater bass and a small combo amp and find gigs...hahaha. But I have seen some of the ads you speak of....and I do prefer to use a five for drop tunings, but I mainly stick to my 4 for everything else. I dont like tuning it down, it screws my setup and muddies my tone..but I have gotten away with playing higher up the scale as a compromise. Especially if we only do one or two drop tuned songs.

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe it's just the area I live in? I don't know, it's a major pet peeve of mine I guess. I just don't see why it would matter...

I play in both Drop D and Drop C in my current band and use a different 4 string for both. :bassist:

7. most drop d songs i play are really hard to play without an open d so a 5 string would just cripple my playing by making me jump strings all over the place.

8. I only play 4's, because I only have 4's.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've been seeing alot of this lately, too. I think it's ok, because usually the people writing the posts are not bassists. I forgive them, for they know not what they do.

I tune CGDA, which usually screws them up when I arrive for the audition anyway. :D