Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else find this irratating (about gas prices)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, May 29, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Believe it or not 2$ a gallon really isn't that much. It's not cheap by any means but gas is a lot cheaper here in the United States then a lot of other places around the world.

Anyone else find it annoying that many of the people who are crying about gas prices are the same people who own these huge yaht sized SUV's and Ford F500's. IF you can afford a 30,000$ plus car then why are you whining about 2$ a gallon people? Mabey you should downsize a little and drive a vehicle that gets more then 12 miles a gallon.

I drive a regular sized car, the recent gas price increase really isn't that big of a deal because my car gets good mileage.

Sorry about the rant, i was just watching the news and they were talking about it, it's rather annoying...what do you people think?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    $2.59 out here in cali

3. Enjoy it while you can, when Peak Oil hits in 2005, you're going to wish it was the price it's at now.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    "irritating" and "annoying" are probably the understatement of the month.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

6. Well, since I drive an old Toyota Camry, I feel it's my right and privilege to complain to my hearts content about gas prices. Right now it's $1.99 in the St. Louis area, a huge deviation from the typical $1.30-ish and that's when it's expensive! :scowl:

+1 on the SUV/Truck drivers out there :D

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    +2 :mad:

8. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I too am sick of seeing these people who absolutely don't need a full size pickup of SUV driving them around and then whining about gas prices. I predict that used car lots are going to be full of these in the next couple of years when these people realize that they really don't need such a large vehicle.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I own and operate one of those huge vehicles, and I love it. Sure the gas is spendy, but I can also run over all of those little rice burners.

-Mike

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    1st in line for a affordable electric full size van :D

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    +1

It's about $2.29 where I live. I put $40 in my tank yesterday, and my gas gauge read about 7/8 full. :meh: My car gets about 14 mpg (Jeep GC 5.2). It's the price I have to pay for all the cargo room I need.

Instead of just B&M about it, I'm looking to sell my car soon. Hopefully I'll get a cool wagon.

12. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    It's ridiculous. We're at about $5.5 pr.gallon here right now, and I'm not complaining. I don't drive my old rice burner much anyway...

13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Take into consideration this also has to do with our devaluing dollar.

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    if you need a huge boat sized SUV or truck then that's a different story, it just gets annoying when you see these huge things everywhere and most of these people don't need them. They are everywhere here, and i live in metro Detroit, there isn't anywhere to go offroading here, and most people whod drive them

A) Don't know how to drive them

or

B) Drive like A-holes. As if riding my arse is going to make me go faster or move out of your way......

heheh i like complaining :D

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Funny you mention that BB.....there is a large Korean community near me, and a strip mall that is pretty much all Korean stores.

Everyday when I drive by, I see these tiny Koren ladies climbing in and out of these Escalades, Suburbans, Expeditions, Excursions, etc. I think this would be a good example of what you are referring to.

I don't mind it though. I park my F-250 right next to them when I drop of my stuff at the cleaners, or stop by for a bite to eat.

-Mike

16. I drive a WRX wagon, which is handy for those CostCo runs, but is more than small enough to fit in any compact parking spot. I tend to average about 20 MPG and find myself filling up about once a week.

Either way, though, I'm glad that I'm back in Hong Kong for summer now and won't have to worry about paying for gas for about 2 and half months. :D

17. 2 words.... Soccer Moms. :rollno:

18. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I want gas to be taxed heavily and public transportation to be encouraged... But that's just one of my crackpot theories I guess...

I sit in my Geo Metro and laugh at passing SUVs on the highway. Ah, sweet 57 mpg...

19. woe yeah. just got back from a 10 day hiking and fishing trip in Eastern Sierras in my 1978 dodge RV. the average price for gas was $2.55. The old RV gets about 6 miles to a gallon and the round trip mileage was 1006. still it was less expensive than if I took my Rodeo and stayed in a cabin or hotel.
    I saw on TV that most hybrid cars in "actual" driving don't get that great of MPG's. I saw that one only got 22 mpg in the city.

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I 'upgraded' my used '97 Explorer to a used '97 Expedition last year. I was glad at the time because of more cargo room and my payment actually went down $50 a month. Now I'm not so happy about it.

And next week I'm going to drive 600 miles. That's gonna be some 'spensive driving. :crying:

For my vacation I'm going to live outside in a pasture for a week and a half...and jam with people whose CD'as I've been buying for years. :hyper: