Anyone else getting tired of all the excess?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jan 24, 2005.

1. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Let me explain. I am not anti-anything, really. I like nice basses as much as the next guy. All the woods, finishes, 12 strings, etc. are just fine and dandy. The thing is, I think I have reached sensory overload. I don't think my brain can handle any more of these gold and blue multi layer, gazillion string monsters.

I was looking through some of the pics posted by NAMM attendies (sincerely, thanks for taking the time to share with us) and found myself relieved to see a pic of a 4 string jazz bass. Sunburst, no fancy wood, just a bass.

Just curious if anyone else is feeling this way of if it's just me.
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You're either a self-proclaimed GASaholic in denial --
    You've reached a good point and can stop worrying so much about your GAS.

Either way more power to you brother :hyper:
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I'm Sure you're not alone... I find myself moving away from my 6 string tendancy and going back to 4's (This month at least :rolleyes: )

But i like all my basses to look Fancy. The ugliest bass that comes to mind is a Fender J bass, and anything that looks like it (With the exception of the nice wood top Sadowsky's and other boutique basses). I prefer Fancy woods and instricate colors.
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes, I agree. When it comes to basses (and a lot of other things) I'm a traditional guy. The use of exotic woods for tonal reasons is fine, but i have no desire for all sorts of lam-tops and what have you just for the sake of appearance. I guess what I'm saying is that for me, form pretty much follows function. If others want to spend large amounts of money on cosmetics that's fine but I prefer simple Fender-type basses.
  5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I'm with ya! No offense to the boutique bass fans, but that style of instrument is not my bag. I don't care for the aestheics at all on many of the basses in the NAMM pics. (Thanks for the pics though). Traditional Leo-style bodies and cosmetics are what floats my boat. As we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :D
  6. I really dig classy looking basses. I'm not too big a fan of crazy colors, wacky designs, gold hardware, or anything like that. I've got a sexy black ASAT with a maple fretboard, and I can't think of a better definition of a classy bass (of course, I may be biased :cool: ) But seriously though, if you've got a sexy piece of wood, why wouldn't you want to flaunt it? I posted a picture of a 5 string Benavente with one of the most gorgeous tops I've ever seen. It would have been a sin to cover something like that up.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I found myself feeling numb looking at so many boutique bass pictures. I can only imagine what it must be like to be at NAMM in person! To each his (her) own. I think my states are fairly conservative. I like Musicman, G&L, Lakland, and other post Fender makers. I like Lull and Sadowsky too but they are out of my financial range at the moment. Just remember, an SR5 probably looks way out to someone!
  8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You make a great point about excess. We have all reached the point, especially as bass players where we have more options. Twenty years ago we did not have many options. Due to the proliferation of great bass players who have expanded the sonic palette of the instrument, the bass is finally getting attention. With the attention, more builders are building anything you can dream of.

I think we will reach a point soon when we all revert. Unfortunately, some things get out of hand and we forget the purpose of what we are doing...get instruments to make music. We have to reach an extreme and go back to a point where it is all about the music.

(OK I was starting to digress and make this is a social issue... BTW I'm still having a GAS attack for a new Sadowsky)
  9. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    As long as it doesn't look gaudy, the 'excesses' are fine with me. Some people can play 15-stringers; more pow'r to them.
  10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm not putting down people who like and play multi strings or "fancy basses. I have a 5 and a 6 myself. I'm glad players and builders are pushing the limits. That's how things get developed. I'm just saying, for me, enough's enough...for a while anyway. ;)
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like simple basses. My fav bass is my Musicman Sterling, black/black with birdseye maple fingerboard. Black is a very simple color, on this simply designed bass, but i love it. 4 strings. To me sound is most important, the looks shouldnt be a distraction.
  12. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    i have never been an fan of the 100000 string basses... My favorite basses are Classic 4 stringed Fenders... i dont think ill ever have an reason to want somthing more...
  13. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It's difficult not to get sensory overload when we are constantly bombarded with ads and posts everywhere about every kind of newfangled bass advancement imaginable.

You can't look at an ad in any bass magazine without someone advertising the newest in body or neck design, or bridges or pickups or active electronics, ad nauseum. Try posting a subject in the bass forum that doesn't mention all the latest gimmicks and gadgets, fiddling knobs and fodera-like laminates and see how long your post lasts.

No one but us "simpletons" care to talk about Fenders or Rick's (without mentioning mods or add-ons that is). The longest thread I posted was one to get us Fender fans a chance to show off these simple basses. We came out in droves. But most every other post that isn't about a 21 string bass or the hippest body wood discovered in a forgotten cave long ago, doesn't last more than a day.

I'm not knocking anyone who likes that stuff either as I can really appreciate master craftsmanship and exotic woods, but I want a bass, not a coffee table from the Ming dynasty.

While it's true that what is available to bassists now is a good thing and it's really advanced our cause, but really when all is said and done, it's about the music and playing the music that is important.

It does get rather tiring reading posts about how unfortunate we all are because we "only" play stock instruments made of wood we could find in our backyard. :spit:

Oh well, we all like what we like and that's a cool thing. To each his/her own.
  14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Except the fact I'm currently GASing for a 5er, my one and only bass is a Fender Jazz Bass, 4-string, passive. Yes it is a very simple bass, no bells & whistles, but it's also one of the most "efficient" bass I ever owned.

And the musicians I play with often say they had never heard such a great tone out of any our their previous bass players' gears.

15. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I like 'em all!!! Give me an exotic topped Fodera, MTD, Roscoe, etc. Give me a sunburst, black, or red Fender, Musicman, Ric. I love stringed instruments, period. I loved my blueburst MTD, but I also think my transparent white Metro is just as gorgeous. Don't make me decide which one I think is more gorgeous. Show me a gorgeous "furniture" bass or a beat up old Precision and i've got GAS! I think that I need bass rehab.... i'm hopeless.
  16. It doesn't matter what it looks like...just play that ish!

But seriously, I took my custom beat up black P-Bass into a local music store and took crap from all the bass players there because it's an ugly bass. I admit it's ugly.

So I reached for the nearest "botique" bass, a green Pedulla with flashy gold hardware and lots of knobs. I played it for a little bit, then I plugged my "Crap" bass into the same amp and proceded to shred it. I took no more crap that day.

All those kids probably went home and took a belt buckle to their squires.

Alot of people don't realize that, "It's the indian, not the arrow."
  17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

I smell troll...

:eyebrow: :meh:
  18. Wait a minute, you can't be serious. They had a 4-string at NAMM?!?!?!?!? :confused:

- Dave
  19. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hmmm...I like this thread. I have to say that I would agree. i too am getting a bit sick of excess. But I can't seem to let go. I love the fancy original stuff (ex: bongo) but to be honest the over the top stuff is not that appealing to me (ex: ritter). To be truthfull, the common stuff isn't always that appealing to me. I like to be a but different so I can not justify spending money on a sunburst four string fender jazz. I'd rather go for a wormoth jazz or somehting a bit out of the norm like a TBC. I guess I'm an "in the middle kinda guy." :cool: :D
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Thats what NAMM is all about. Putting your best foot forward. The builders bring their creations. Like a fashion show