Anyone else getting tired of their hardshell?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Sep 3, 2010.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I am seriously considering investing in a good gigbag to carry my basses into a gig with. Just get tired of lugging the old hardshell case around all the time. Also, most gigbags have more room for accessories. I really don't see the need for a case unless I'm traveling a lot or flying with it.

But then again, I worry that something may happen to it in the bag and I'll regret being lazy and not having it in the hardshell.

What do you guys think/what is your experience?

2. I was, and still am, tired of harshells. Mono double gig bag all the way!

3. i was hesitant at first too ... but w/ the gig bag on my back, amp and crap on a small dolly I still have a free hand to open the door for one trip. hard to beat that!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    it only takes a slight bit more care to carry a bass in a gig bag than a hardshell. i dropped all my hardshells 12 years ago and haven't looked back.

5. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I don't bring hardshell cases to gigs either, gig bag all the way. Pockets for tools, extra cables, etc. Stake out a good spot to put your bass while on set breaks, or put it on a stand in an area out of the path of traffic, and you're golden.

6. I don't know, I've always liked hardshells better. I know gig bags are easier to carry but I just like the protection of a hardshell case.

7. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    The only time I've ever used my hardshell was the day I bought my bass. My bass has never been inside the hardshell since then.

8. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Just InCase ... yeah

9. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    Ummmm..........nope.:bag:

10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

+1 JimmyM. I only use hardshell cases for storage or flying. I always handle my basses myself and never let them out of my sight and a good quality gig bag works just fine.

Rezdog

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys.

What would you recommend as a good gigbag?

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I was all about Heavy Duty SKB and Big TKL cases before, but the uncomfortable weight on the handle and bumps while taking stairs have made me reconsider them.

Im now more into soft cases with a strap, lighter, no bumps on stairs as I use the strap on my shoulder. They feel like a gig bag but protect like a hardshell.

Just to try I ordered a a heavy duty padded gigbag to take my basses back and forth from the studio.

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm curious, as a hardshell user who's considered soft cases for a while now, do you notice any issues with machine heads getting bumped out of tune with soft shells than with hardshells?

14. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I tune before every performance. It's kind of necessary regardless of the hardshell I carry the axe in.

15. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    It can happen, but only if you drop it on its side or something. Either way, I tune before every show/rehearsal, so it don't bother me none.

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm another ex-hardshell user who's converted to gigbags for most of his gigs now. A well made, well padded bag is a must though. I woudn't feel safe with an expensive bass in a cheapo thin bag.

I usually check tuning before packing for the gig and then put the bass in its bag. I check again at the gig and hardly ever have to touch the tuners at that point.

I played a festival gig yesterday where I had to park the car about a mile from the stage we were playing on. I was glad to be able to put the bass on my back instead on lugging a hard case!

I use a Warwick Rock Bag Deluxe (their top of the range bag) and the design, construction and padding are generally great. The only issue I have is the very thin rubber strips they use for waterproofing the zips on the pockets - these are beginning to deteriorate a little and occasionally bits of them catch and make the zips stiff.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i'm using a kaces padded gig bag. i like it.

18. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I ditched the hard case 10 years ago and I haven't looked back.
    I'm using a awesome Roscoe double bag but I rarely take 2 basses to my gigs. I think I'm gonna put it for for trade for an igig, mono case, incase or some sort of high end gig bag.
    I only use hard cases to ship basses but i don't take them to my gigs.

19. interesting thread...I am leaning from using gigbags, back to hardshell cases...my guitarist always carried his guitars in gigbags and two weeks ago his SG took a spill while it was in the gigbag and it still snapped the neck...had it been in a hardshell case it probably would've survived...and it was in a very good bag. I bent a tuning key on one of my Fenders ayear or so ago after it hit the edge of a door frame as I was walking through it and had to get it replaced (ever try to find just one vintage tuning key?). If it had been in a hardcase, it wouldn't of happened.
    Fender just came out with some TSA rated cases that I'm going to look into...they seem quite sturdy (and fairly pricy)

20. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I prefer hard cases my band mates will sometimes unload my bass for me and they have dropped their own instruments in gigbags before. So a hard case is just better for me. I have modded my hard case to have a strap on it though. I drilled 2 holes through the case in areas where the bass wont come in contact with the bolt and put an one of those hook things through and tightened the bolt down on the inside of the case... It works great and is very handy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021