Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else going to Lynn Seaton's bass camp @ UNT?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Pacman, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm going again this year (thank you, taxpayers). Monte and I went last year and both agree that Lynn's approach is a fantastic way to go. Monte said it caused him to go back and rethink how he played everything. I, of course, couldn't play to begin with so I got a great foundation for my physical approach to the instrument.

If you go, I'm the old guy with the nearly shaved head - say hi!

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I can't make it this year, but I HIGHLY recommend this whether you or a beginner or experienced. It is hard to believe, but because of that week, I've improved more this past year than the previous 5.

Monte

3. $#%@$%@...
    ... kicking self after not signing up ...

4. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    tell us more about the camp, I wanted to go, but can't this year

5. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, it's five days of jazz double bass! With blocks of time each day to technique, bassline construction, playing with a rhythm section (I got a lot out of this part last year). Jeff Bradetich (sp?) comes to give some bow technique classes. You also play with a bass ensemble, there's a presentation by a luthier, and concerts every night.

Lynn's technique is right out of the Rabbath school, and he works it pretty hard in the classes. I got such a good foundation on it last year - I'm really buzzin' to go back. And the concert he did with his trio last year was unbelieveable! A friend taped it last year, and I will tape as many of the shows as I can this year.

I bet there's still room.....

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, I'm back! What a week! Great stuff for bassists of all levels. This sessions class was made up of 14 bassists, including two working classical professionals, myself (the only person with jazz experience) and a lot of younger students - many of whom were quite talented. The technique portions moved along very quickly compared to last year, and I found myself doing things that I couldn't before!

One of the things I love about Lynn is that he teaches to the individual, rather than the group. I was lagging in the technique area, and he helped me, but in the rhythm section playing, I wanted to deal with more advanced concepts. And Lynn didn't miss a beat, he taught at the level I was ready to deal with. I never once felt I was waiting for the rest of the class when it came to jazz.

I played in a bass quartet with Lynn and two other students for the final show, and traded solos with him.... talk about intimidation.

Lynn's a great human being, an unreal bassist, and a fantastic teacher! I'm already trying to make sure I get to go back next year!

7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    hey killer, I am going to make time next year.
    Can anyone talk about what Mr. Seaton had to say about tone production? Did he talk about using the bow much? Thanks

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    He spends quite a bit of time on tone production, especially jazz pizz. Get your finger down to the end of the fingerboard so you get the most 'ping' from the note, and good solid attack. He doesn't talk about bow technique much, per se, but he's one of the most amazing arco players you'll ever see. Jeff Bradetich (sp?) came in for a few hours to work the bow thing with much enthusiasm, and really helped my technique (again - last year he changed my grip, and this year helped me build on that).