1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else hate Splash cymbals?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    The drummer in one of our bands uses a splash cymbal and I despise it. It sounds like crap IMO, might as well beat on a pot or pan to get that kind of sound.

Is is just me or are there any other players here who despise splash cymbals too?

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The ones I hate most are those "pang" cymbals. You know, the upside-down thing with, usually, Chinese writing on them. They, my friend, are aweful.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, are those splash cymbals? I always thought splashs were those really nice subtle ones because of the splash sound they made.

My drummer has a really abrasive upside down thing, it sounds like a ride bell, but hella loud.

4. nope, the upside down ones are called chinas, splashs are the really tiny ones which make cool splashy noises :) i like em...

at my old music shop we put the smallest one on a kit (6") it was ridiculously hard to hit. big roll on snare and miss!

5. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    I love a nice splash. Saying you hate splash cymbals is like saying you hate soup. You just have to try different ones. Maybe you hate the one your drummer has.

Maybe you hate WHEN he chooses to hit it. It's an accent cymbal. If you're hearing it all the time, he's definitely hitting it at innapropriate times. Give him a coupon for ten hits per set. If he hits it more, it's a punch from everyone in the band for each hit over the limit. He'll learn to hit it tastefully in a hurry...

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Chinas are the worst thing ever invented. I don't know why any drummer would ever waste money on one. splashes can be cool if not overused, but the problem is most drummers think they have to use it all the time just because it's there.

7. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Splash cymbals are the small ones. The upside down ones are usually a type of China. The only ones that I know of that have Chinese writing on them are Wutang (or something like that), which are cheap cymbals. I only know all this stuff cause my father is a drummer.

8. A splash will make a more high-pitched sound with a fast decay, and are usually used for quick accents.

The chinas, (yes-the upside-down looking cymbals) make a harsh sound that phonetically sounds like "KAAH." In metal, many drummers will ride a china for a more cutting and harsh sound.

I like splash cymbals, just don’t over-do it. I’ve never had any trouble hitting mine, but a big “swing and a miss” would make the drummer look a like an idiot. LOL

9. saying you hate splashes is like saying i hate the thin sound g strings make

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My favorite splash on my kit when I played was a 8" Sabian B8. $20 cymbal that I loved, and so did everyone around.

But you can't beat a Wuhan 12" China for looking cool. Never got much use though.

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    him overusing it might be the problem as well.

to me they just sound so "blah"...

12. When used properly, chinas can sound really cool.

Splashes are cute, lol, theyre so small, and they make this nice, quiet sound, unlike other cymbals, teehee "plakish"

13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't have any drum my drummers choose to use, so long as they make it sound good.

Jazz band rehearsals have sucked recently because the university has six sets... three reserved for their stages, one for a small rehearsal room, and two for the main practice room. Sadly, we've been stuck with the crappiest of the two sets for the main practice room. The hi-hat stand is broken. One crash cymbal is held in a stand by a drum stick, and bass pedal hits three times before coming loose. But dammit if our drummer doesn't try!

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Effects cymbals are very nice when used for their intended purpose - effect. Like anything, when over used or used in the wrong context, they sound bad.

They could also just be crappy cymbals.

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    When used at the right time and/or the right situation, sure. They can sound great when a small, light touched accent is called for.

Imagine Victor Wooten touring with the Moody Blues and playing like he does with The Flecktones when it comes time to do Nights In White Satin. That would be completely terrible/rediculous/inappropriate/hysterical. :eyebrow:

But put him back in The Flecktones, WHEW!!! :bassist:

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I prefer the cowbell to the splash.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just as I thought... I love splashes

As far as China Cymbals go... drummers who know how to use them are amazing.

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I find this funny because I bought my drummer (and best friend) a splash and china cymbal for Christmas last year.

19. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I bought my dad (a drummer) new hi-hats and a crash and ride for his birthday last year (Zildjans) and this year I bought him a splash and china (Sabians). :)

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No...but then again I'm a drummer and I have one on my set :)

You may just hate the sound of that particular splash. Especially if it's a cheaper splash it won't sound quite as pleasing.