Anyone else have a "good luck" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nedmundo, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Over the past couple of years, I've been playing a few Fenders and a gold DiPinto Belvedere Standard semi-hollow body, which is awesome in many ways. Strangely, it seems the times my bands play best is when I bring the DiPinto. I don't necessarily have to play it -- although that helps -- but it needs to be there. For example, last summer I planned to test out a recently purchased '99 Am. Deluxe P, but at the last minute grabbed the DiPinto. It was the best, hardest rocking show I've ever played. :bassist: I don't think it would have been with the Am. Dlx. P.

In contrast, the ONLY lame gigs have happened when I've left it at home. Plus, even though I think my Fenders generally sound better recorded, my band's best recordings were made with the DiPinto.

This raises a couple of questions. :help: First, what could be the source of the DiPinto's seemingly endless mojo? Maybe because I bought it at Chris DiPinto's shop? Or that he saw me play it once? Or could it be blessed from some non-musical source? (Unlikely, in my view.)

Also, is there any way to transfer some of the mojo to my other basses, WITHOUT diluting it in the DiPinto? I'm thinking a ritual, maybe involving very loud Zeppelin and destruction of some [insert most hated "nu-metal" band here] CDs. I'm hoping no instrument sacrifice is necessary!

I'm sure you all know how serious this is. ;) I'd love to hear about similar experiences with a "good luck" bass. I think I'm lucky, really, but sometimes I just want to bring one of my Fenders, and I'm starting to think that's not a viable option!

If it would help to see the Belvedere, here's a link to the DiPinto site. My last upload didn't go so well (too small), otherwise I'd post a pic of mine.
  2. It's perhaps simply because that the Dipinto have a sound that fit better with the style of music your doing with your band!!

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe it's lighter and so you have more energy on the show?
    Maybe you prefer it's feel and playability, you feel comfortable on it and it translates to better playing?
    Maybe by now it's all a psychological effect: when you leave it at home you have the mindset "aww s**t, I forgot it at home, this show will be bad!"
  4. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Actually, I tend to play best on my Am. Ser. Jazz, which is more comfortable. I've certainly had some good sets with the Jazz, but the DiPinto is almost always there when those good sets happen.

And for my last gig, an "unplugged" set, I decided to use a '94 MIJ Precision, which I thought would sound best in that format. I thought about the possible psychology of an emerging "DiPinto effect" like you mention, and decided I would go forth without fear. I wasn't concerned about it at all -- in fact, I was totally psyched to try the P through my new GK Neo112 cabinet. (The combination sounded awesome, by the way.)

Then we had an erratic set, mostly due to the guitarist's expansive definition of "rhythm" when we play without a drummer, as he tacitly admitted after the show.
  5. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Ok, here's what you do.

Go to whatever room you sleep in. Remove all the light furniture. Anything heavy can stay, but you must put at least 1 lit candle on it per square foot of surface. Clear off your walls. If you don't like clear walls, you may cover them with Mirrors. Replace all window shades with dark purple drapes.

Okay, now to the important part. Paint (Yes, paint. Don't talk to me about carpet.) a large circle on the floor, so that it touches a one pair of walls on either side. Make sure it's a perfect circle. Place your basses fretboard-down on the floor with the bodies lining the circle, all headstocks pointing toward the center. Place your DiPinto on a stand directly in the middle of the circle. Sprinkle it with perfume. (It helps if you turn on a ceiling fan. The faster, the better.)

Place some Nu-Metal CD covers underneath the stand (Which you want to make sure is well-elevated!) Soak in embalming fluid, and burn, burn, burn, with Stairway to Heaven playing backwards in the background.

And make sure your carpet doesn't catch on fire. ;)
  6. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Tried that before... nothing happend... though shortly after Tony Danza got his own daytime talk show...
  7. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    "Strangely, it seems the times my bands play best is when I bring the DiPinto. I don't necessarily have to play it -- although that helps -- but it needs to be there."
  8. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey, this is getting creepy. My bedroom does indeed have a ceiling fan! And one wall already covered in mirrors! :eek: