Anyone else have a twisted thumb?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by brlottermann, Sep 7, 2021.

1. brlottermann

brlottermann Supporting Member

May 14, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Hey TBers,

I've been playing bass guitar & upright for about 12 years now, right handed, and I've noticed the end of my left hand thumb (the part with the nail) is twisted almost 45 degrees to the right. Over the years, it seems to be getting slightly worse. Holding it next to my normal RH thumb, the difference is very noticeable.

Its not at all painful and doesn't impact my playing at all, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is my LH technique bad or am I applying too much thumb pressure on the back on the neck?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    BL

2. If I understand you correctly that's totally normal. Many people won't have the pad of their thumb flat against the neck, it will be rotated somewhat.

brlottermann likes this.
  3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    You can't get a thumb upgrade or replacement. You'll have to learn to deal with what you have, same as everyone. Just get to the next time in time and avoid pain.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022