1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else have/had this problem with a -GUITARIST- buddy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bangbang, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bangbang

bangbang

Oct 1, 2006
    What I'm speaking on is this. I've been playing for about half a year now, and my buddy he's been playing guitar for about four years. To the situation at hand, I -HATE- it when we're jamming, we're done, then he picks up my bass and begins jamming. No, he isn't doing any bass lines, he does the guitar part to alot of songs on it. He's so proud of himself, and I admire how good he is, but **** man, play your guitar **** on your guitar!!!!! And quit acting like I don't realize that it's not the bass line to raining blood. jeez. sorry had to let that rant out somewhere.

2. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I picked up my guitar player's (beautiful hollowbody Artslinger) axe and started playing a groovy little melody on it. He laughed and smiled and told me I was playing the guitar like a bass.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I PLAY THE PIANO LIKE A BASS AND GUITAR. I THUMP THE STRINGS WITH MY THUMB AND THEN SHRED WITH A PICK. WOOO!!

Sorry, it had to be said. The two instruments are very similar that playing one "as if you the other" is just ridiculous. I mean, if you start playing a John Coltrane song on your guitar, are you playing guitar like a saxophonist?

4. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    It also pisses me off, but i hate it even more when the guitarist plays drums. Because they're usually terrible at drums and they usually play as loud as they can.

5. unplug your bass and put it in its case if youre that worried

6. bangbang

bangbang

Oct 1, 2006
    Lol @ vindy. Nah not worried, just bugs me.

7. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i have the EXACT same problem, but it gives me a drive to get better at bass:D

8. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    this what I do... and remember I'm a crap guitar player... I pick up the guitar and start playing away... riff after riff, then I start jamming my own idea and order the guitar player who has my bass to follow me... and I just keep going... makes them mental!!!!!!!!!

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Are you mad because he's a more proficient player than you, or are you merely imposing your preconceptions of what a bass should do onto him?

10. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    pretty silly thing to get riled up over, although i dont like when my guitarists pic up my bass without asking, but thats just cos they didnt ask.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    My bro is a guitarist. It's pretty bad, especially when he start talking or even worse, playing a bass. Every time, i die a little inside.

12. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    That's tragic.

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Wait, hang on a second, Raining Blood has a bass line?!

14. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    lol :D

I get this a lot... I have a guitarist friend, who's amazing at gypsy jazz, blues, classic rock, and he plays in a local punk band... so he's got all bases (haha) on guitar covered... But everytime he picks up a bass, it sounds so thin and hollow... like there's nothing in it... It's hard to explain.

Anywho, so I'm thinking, it's gotta be that he's not hitting that bass hard enough, being used to playing the guitar gently.

So this guy picks up the drums... and his playing, that thin, hollow sound, carries through onto the drums... :rolleyes: I don't understand... is it some sort of mentality that (a majority of) guitarists have?

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah, I don't understand it either. I mean, when a Bass Player picks up any other instrument, he's good at it from the start. He doesn't need to practice it or anything. Being able to play Bass makes you good at everything else.

16. It's fun to play a different instrument. Yeah, it bothers the other person, but so what?

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I play both guitar and bass. When I used to play primarily guitar, I didn't even know what kind of bass rig my bass player had, much less want to play it. I knew he had a Fender Precision, but the amp? No idea. Now I play bass. My guitar player smokes, so he goes outside for a smoke every hour or so. Since he's playing a Strat that I gave him, I'll play it when he's smoking. When he comes back, he gets on my bass and it sounds like ****. Not just the tone, he just can't play bass. I always wonder though, "is that what my rig sounds like? - I hope not".

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    So are you guys sayin' your guitar players can get a sound out of your basses? When my guitarist friend picked up my bass, it sounded like he'd never played a stringed instrument before in his life. On the other hand, for those of you who aren't, haven't been, or studied guitar, how do you think you sound when you pick up their axes? I had the urge to pluck with my index and middle fingers.

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I mow the lawn like a bassist.

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    so if it bothers you.... talk to him.

what age did we learn communication skills?