1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone else have resting bass face (a la john entwistle)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bon viesta, Jan 3, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i began learning bass about at the beginning of the year (which is now last year!!!) and as i was learning (preoccupied by drumming, i mean i didn’t really take bass seriously and i mostly did it because i was bored sometimes) i thought it would be funny to learn bass while having a “*_*” type of face, much like john entwistle, because i knew that your “instrument face” was a result of the face you made while in the process of learning any given muscle memory. my drum face is one of... well, i’d rather not mention. but anyways, here i am a much better musician and it’s stuck!!! i now have a resting bass face. what can i say? i think maybe i’m a bit proud of it :) well at any rate, how’s your bass face holding up?? do you have the same debilitating condition as me?

KeithAlanK and StereoPlayer like this.
  2. Mom always said I should smile more...
    5FC7F53E-DC05-4462-8B13-8176CBD8F2DE.jpeg

3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Sadly I can only do one thing at a time. When I'm playing bass that cuts out 99% of facial expressions and nearly all movement on stage!!

4. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i always found entwistle’s calm demeanor to be nothing short of bad ass. but he was just a cool dude :thumbsup: with a voice to match. his voice was actually a bit scary...

5. I'm the same way.
    I was playing a show a couple of years ago in a small club that was packed. It was a reunion of those of us who were in a very popular band 25 years ago who are still friends. In fact, I was the soundman back then but the bassists had all been jerks or had left the state.

Anyway...these 3 younger ladies, maybe in their 30s, were watching our last set and I felt like they were staring at me and talking about me. I was sure they didn't think my old self was hot, and I was sure they didn't think my basses or amps or playing were awesome, so while I really don't care what people think of me, I was curious.
    These days I allow myself a couple of beers during the last set, and maybe drink one of the free shots that magically appear. That's probably why I lost control of my bass face for a few seconds and smiled--maybe even chuckled a bit--and they ran right up front and started yelling "He smiled! He smiled! OMG!" and danced around like it was the best part of their night.

I smiled and winked at them, said thank you, then worked really hard to not show any expression for the rest of the night.
    In my 40 year career making live music it ranks as one of my favorite memories.

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I once had a BL tell me i needed to get more excited on stage because all i did was play and look out at the crowd. I told him if i get any more excited than usual someone always winds up getting hurt. He let me go not long after that.

7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    that's a great story. once during a gig in my 2nd or 3rd year performing, i had an old lady come up to the stage (drum riser) & tell me, 'we don't want you to be sad. we want you to be happy! smile!' i thanked her and forced a smile. i did not share that i had a bad argument with my wife of 15 years just before leaving for the gig, and was contemplating the custody battle from the divorce i was considering while playing the gig.

it taught me that the audience shows up to have a good time, and when onstage, it is on you to be a part of providing that.

8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

This is pretty much mine...
    D3702BB1-FC61-4C21-9973-A3F2D2756904.jpeg

9. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    My bass face is expressionless, like Charles Bronson. The only time it changes is when people tell me I should smile, and they usually go away. I did sound once for a band where the (female) bass player wore a ludicrous amount of bright red lipstick and had an even more ludicrous huge fixed smile throughout the gig. She looked like The Joker.

94C66536-DEA6-4931-9E53-A2AEF00A1282.jpeg

10. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I tense up and clench, trying so very hard not to make mistakes live because I don't practice enough. Missus says I forget to breathe.

Neo1 likes this.
  11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Is rock the only performing art in which it's acceptable or even desirable for artists to appear uninterested in plying their craft? After 70 years, does rock still demand a sullen and rebellious demeanor?

My show biz education taught me: "Smiles! Smiles everyone!!" Since I was also playing in rock bands from an early age, I learned to turn it on and off. I don't play rock anymore, but I still turn it on by default when I walk on stage. It's contagious, and has a remarkable effect on the audience. At the end of the day, are we not entertainers hired to lift spirits in some way? Is it an affect? Why yes, of course; we're performers playing parts in a show. Is it cheesy? Probably sometimes. Do I care? No. I'm just doing my job. :thumbsup:

12. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    now that sounds cool!

equill likes this.
  13. Ya mean like this?:woot:
    upload_2021-1-4_17-14-46.jpeg

14. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    only time to smile is during the photo shoots!!!! how else will the women want you?

15. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    chicks don’t go to concerts!!!!! blasphemy!!!!!

gebass6 likes this.
  16. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I was told the same thing. I wanted to respond by doing a kick flip or a jump off the kick drum. Instead I said "OK" and changed nothing. I got fired from that band for refusing to always schlep that same front woman's PA night in and night out (we played 10+ shows a month during the summers) because I was the youngest.

Oh well.

17. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    What's weird is that I can make a conscious effort to smile, that think that I am, but in the video I look just as dour as I always do.

TheReceder likes this.
  18. StereoPlayer likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021